Money Talks News has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Money Talks News and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
If you’re not the type to run up a balance on a credit card, that’s great! But it doesn’t mean you should avoid credit cards altogether. It means that you can get in on the benefits of credit cards without the worry of expensive debt — if you use them strategically.
Some cards are especially good at rewarding you for purchases you would be making anyway — like food and fuel — or planned spending for Mother’s Day or spring travel. Here are three of our favorite cash-back cards right now. See which one best fits your lifestyle.
Why we like it: This is a great all-around credit card with 1.5% cash back on every purchase. It also offers a $150 cash bonus after you spend just $500 within the first three months of opening the account.
What to know:
- Get 1.5% cash back on every purchase — no limits, and no expiration on cash-back rewards for the life of the account.
- Get a $150 statement credit after spending $500 on the card within the first three months.
- Pay 0% APR on purchases within the introductory 15-month period.
- Pay 0% APR on balance transfers for 15 months.
- No annual fee
- No foreign transaction fees
Note: Balance transfers made within the first 15 months are subject to an initial 3% fee.
Why we like it: With no annual fee to worry about, the Chase Freedom Unlimited card is a top-tier choice for grocery or general cash-back rewards, offering at least 1.5% cash back on every purchase and more in certain categories. You also earn a $200 cash-back bonus after you spend $500 within the first three months.
What to know:
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase.
- 3% cash back on dining at restaurants and on drugstore purchases.
- 1.5% cash back on every other purchase.
- No expiration on cash-back rewards.
- 0% introductory APR on purchases for 15 months.
- No annual fee.
Note: This card has a 3% foreign transaction fee, so plan accordingly for international travel.
Why we like it: The Blue Cash Preferred Card offers a very strong 6% cash back on the first $6,000 per year spent on supermarket purchases and 3% cash back spent at gas stations in the U.S. Plus, for a limited time, you also earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $1,000 with the card within the first three months.
What to know:
- 6% cash back on up to $6,000 spent at U.S. supermarkets per year, and 1% cash back after that amount
- 6% cash back on certain U.S. streaming subscription services
- 3% cash back on spending at U.S. gas stations and for taxi or rideshare service
- 1% cash back on other purchases
- 0% introductory APR on purchases for 12 months
- $95 annual fee
Note: Cash back is redeemed as statement credits.
Whatever you need in a credit card — whether it’s reward points, cash back, balance transfer or a low interest rate — you can find with our credit card search tool. Click here to search for the plastic that best fits your needs.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.