The Biggest Gun Companies in the U.S. Market

As the debate over gun control rages once again, here's a look at the manufacturers who supply the most firearms to Americans.

1. Smith & Wesson (AOBC)

Smith and Wesson guns.Smith & Wesson website screenshot / Money Talks News

Gun sales: $773 million in 2017, according to the company’s 2017 annual report, which noted 91.2 percent of its firearms sales were to domestic consumers. The remaining 8.8 percent of sales went to local, state or federal law enforcement, or exports. A 2016 report by Mother Jones states that the company produced 1.31 million guns for the U.S. market in 2014.

Headquarters: Springfield, Massachusetts, with additional facilities in Houlton, Maine, and Deep River, Connecticut

About the company: Smith & Wesson, now held by publicly traded American Outdoor Brand Corp. (AOBC), was founded in 1852 as a partnership between Horace Smith and Daniel B. Wesson. Handguns accounted for more than 60 percent of its total sales in 2017, and the remainder were “long guns”– shotguns and rifles, including AR-15-type models that the industry calls “modern sporting rifles.” It was a Smith & Wesson AR-15 used in the most recent mass shooting in Florida.

Comments

1,091 Active Deals

More Deals