3 purchases to wait on …
Heart-shaped chocolates may fall to tempting prices in March, but after Valentine’s Day is not necessarily the best time of year to stock up on lingerie. Although deals aren’t terrible this month, you’ll be far better off holding out until June and July, when Victoria’s Secret unveils its ever-popular Semi-Annual Sale. Not only do prices plummet at that store, but it traditionally inspires markdowns at competitors like Frederick’s of Hollywood, Soma and Maidenform.
March isn’t the best time to choose to restock your closet in general. Although you’ll still find great bargains on cold-weather apparel, you’re not likely to find big discounts on this season’s threads until May. Exceptions can be found at stores that tend to offer big sitewide offers at this time of year. If you have to buy seasonal, shop stores like Gap, PacSun or 6pm.
It’s a commonly held belief that Android phones fall to substantial price lows in March after new models are introduced at the Mobile World Congress each February. But our research shows that the event doesn’t have quite the effect some expect. Outside of Black Friday and the holiday season, July appears to be the best month to upgrade. That month sees a far better selection of Editor’s Choice lows on these smartphones.
It’s also worth mentioning that many brands have their own release schedules for flagship phones.
Top 5 stores for March
- Mountain Hardwear: The best spot to prepare for next year’s cold snap, this store will drop prices on outerwear to Editor’s Choice price lows before March is out. Last year, it halved all sale prices, which put jackets as low as $23.
- REI: One of REI’s most popular sales of the year happens in March, the End of Winter Clearance! Last year, it knocked an extra 25 percent off already-discounted sale items from Columbia, Patagonia and the North Face.
- 6pm: A firm exception to the “don’t buy spring apparel” rule, this store knocked a flat 20 percent off all spring styles in one of its best sales of the year last March. At the time, it was the best discount the store had offered in over two years.
- Nashbar: We listed two Editor’s Choice sales from this store in all of 2017 — one in August and one in March. In the latter month, the store knocked a massive 50 to 70 percent off bikes of all sizes and styles.
- Joe’s New Balance Outlet: We expect to see strong offers from this popular shoe store again in March, considering it hosted its best-ever sitewide discount in this month last year. By knocking 30 percent off all orders, it even beat its Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals from a few months earlier!
What’s on your shopping list for March? Share with us in comments below or on our Facebook page.
More from DealNews.com:
- “2018 Could Be HUGE for Amazon … Here’s Why”
- “8 Things That Will Be LESS Expensive in 2018”
- “8 Things That Will Be MORE Expensive in 2018”
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.