- Student Loan Debt Is Keeping Adult Kids From Leaving the Nest
- The Crime Americans Worry About Most Is the Hacking a Credit Card
- 64 Countries Have a Smaller Gender Pay Gap Than the US, Study Says
- Does Money Lingo Make Your Head Spin? Here’s What It Really Means
- Budget from 1987 Tells the Tale: Americans Are Severely Underpaid
- Take 5: A Roundup of Reads From Around the Web
- Trick-or-Treaters Want Cash, Not Treats
- Fast-Food Workers (McDonald’s Included) Earn $20 an Hour in Denmark
Chicken soup… a savory, soothing elixir that seems to have magical powers to heal and comfort.
It’s also a versatile and affordable meal that can satisfy an entire family for less than 15 bucks! This week’s recipe is a twist on traditional chicken soup that’s sure to please. Chef Jorge Montes, owner and executive chef of Roho Kitchen, shared his recipe with Money Talks News founder Stacy Johnson. Watch the video, then read on for the recipe.
You have plenty of options with this dish. Chef Jorge grew up in Miami, and uses tropical root vegetables common in his area. But if you can’t find malanga, boniato, and yucca, there are plenty of alternatives. You can substitute just about any root vegetable and experiment with some to find your favorite custom combination. Chef Jorge suggests trying potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, rutabaga, celeriac, or any other root vegetable. Each adds texture and body to the soup, which gives it a heartiness you’ll love.
The herbs and spices in this dish imparted a brightness to the soup, especially from the lime, cilantro, and thyme. There’s also garlic and onions in here, so you’re packing in layers of flavor while serving up antioxidants.
You can find alphabet letter pasta at most grocery stores, and some stores even have a gluten-free alphabet letter pasta. This is a great make-ahead meal you can start the week with or store in the freezer.
A reminder for how to freeze soup: Let it cool completely after cooking. Fill a quart-sized container, leaving about a half inch of room at the top to allow the liquid to expand in the freezer. Thaw the soup overnight by putting it in the fridge and reheat on the stovetop over medium heat. The soup should last in the freezer for up to two months.
The Latin twist Chef Jorge give us with this Roho Kitchen Chicken Soup is one that just might make you dance.
Roho Kitchen Chicken Soup – Courtesy of Chef Jorge Montes
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cooked
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 cup diced boniato
- 1 cup diced malanga
- 1 cup diced yucca
- 4 sprigs thyme
- ½ cup diced celery
- juice of one lime
- ¼ cup uncooked small pasta (alphabet letters)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the chicken breast into small 1 inch cubes.
- In a large pot heat the oil on medium heat and add the onions, celery, garlic and thyme. cook for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except the lime juice and pasta.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the pasta and continue simmering for 5 to 7 minutes until pasta is cooked to your liking.
- Add the lime juice and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Remove the thyme sprigs before serving.
After you try the recipe, go to our Facebook page and let us know how you like it!