You don’t have to look far to find the best senior discounts, but you may have to reach a certain age first. Not all businesses define “senior” the same way.
Members of groups like AARP and the Association of Mature American Citizens know that those legendary benefits kick in at the ripe age of 50.
If you prefer not to pay their annual dues, just wait five years and enjoy the following discounts at retailers, restaurants, hotels and more. They become available as soon as you hit age 55, and all you need is to show ID and sometimes sign up for a free discount card or loyalty program to take advantage of them.
Grocery and pharmacy
You’ve probably heard about restaurant discounts for seniors, but did you know starting at age 55 you may be able to save on the rest of your food, too? Offers include:
- Hy-Vee: Save 5% on Wednesdays at certain locations.
- Fred Meyer: Save 10% on certain items on the first Tuesday of the month. You can find those items listed on Fred Meyer’s Senior Discount webpage.
- Walgreens: Save 30% on eligible regular-price Walgreens-brand items, and 20% on other eligible regular-price items, on Seniors Days in stores and online. You can find upcoming Senior Day dates listed on Walgreens’ Seniors Day webpage.
A variety of retailers — from craft stores to auto repair shops — start their “senior” offers at age 55. These include:
- Michael’s: Save 10% — including on sale items — in stores and online.
- Pep Boys: Save 10% in stores.
- Ross: Save 10% on Tuesdays.
The discounted rates you can get on these wireless plans starting at age 55 will make you want to call a friend and spread the news about how much you’re saving:
- T-Mobile: Three unlimited plans for customers 55 and older are available. They start at $27.50 to $45 per month for two lines.
- Verizon: The Verizon 55+ Unlimited Plan — which includes unlimited talk, text and data — is available at a discounted rate. However, at this time, the discount is only available for customers with a Florida billing address.
You probably don’t have plans to travel in the near future, given the coronavirus pandemic. But when you do book your next trip, keep in mind these discounts for travelers age 55 and older:
- Best Western: Save up to 15% on your room rate at participating hotels worldwide, subject to availability. For similar discounts, see “8 Hotels That Give Price Breaks to Seniors.”
- Carnival: Filter the search options on Carnival’s website to see senior fares. First, click on the “VIFP Offers & Extra Savings” drop-down filter; next, check the “Age 55+” box to the right. For similar discounts, see “5 Ways to Get Senior Discounts on Cruise Trips.”
- Royal Caribbean: Reduced prices are available for select cruises, subject to availability.
Not quite 55 yet? Consider traveling by rental car on your next trip. Several rental car companies offer discounts to customers as young as 50, as we detail in “6 Ways to Score ‘Senior’ Discounts on Car Rentals After Turning 50.”
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.