You don’t have to look far to find the best senior discounts, but you have to reach a certain age first. And it can vary, as not all businesses define “senior” the same way.
Members of groups like AARP and the Association of Mature American Citizens (AMAC) know that those legendary benefits kick in at the ripe age of 50.
If you prefer not to pay those groups’ annual dues, just wait five years and enjoy the following discounts at retailers, restaurants, hotels and more.
These discounts become available as soon as you hit age 55, and all you need is to show ID and sometimes sign up for a free discount card or loyalty program to take advantage of them.
You’ve probably heard about restaurant discounts for seniors, but did you know starting at age 55 you may be able to save on the rest of your food purchases, too? Offers include:
- Hy-Vee: Save 5% on Thursdays at certain locations.
- Fred Meyer: Save 10% on certain items on the first Tuesday of the month. You can find those items listed on Fred Meyer’s Senior Discount webpage.
A variety of retailers — from drug stores to auto repair shops — start their “senior” offers at age 55. They include:
- Michael’s: Save 10% — including on-sale items — in stores and online.
- Pep Boys: Save 10% in stores.
- Ross: Save 10% on Tuesdays.
- Walgreens: Save 20% on eligible regular-price items in stores and online on Seniors Days. You can find upcoming Senior Day dates listed on Walgreens’ Seniors Day webpage.
The discounted rates you can get on these wireless plans starting at age 55 will make you want to call a friend and spread the news about how much you’re saving:
- T-Mobile: Three unlimited plans for customers 55 and older are available. They start at $27.50 to $50 per line per month for two lines.
- Verizon: The Verizon 55+ Unlimited Plan — which includes unlimited talk, text and data — is available at a discounted rate. However, at this time, the discount is only available for customers with a Florida billing address.
When you book your next trip, keep in mind these discounts for travelers age 55 and older:
- Best Western: Save with discounted room rates at participating hotels worldwide, subject to availability. For similar discounts, see “70 Hotel Chains That Offer ‘Senior’ Discounts.”
- Carnival: Filter the search options on Carnival’s website to see senior fares. First, click on the “VIFP Offers & Extra Savings” drop-down filter; next, check the “Age 55+” box to the right.
- Royal Caribbean: Reduced prices are available for select cruises. For similar discounts, see “5 Ways to Get Senior Discounts on Cruise Trips.”
Not quite 55 yet? Consider traveling by rental car on your next trip. Several rental car companies offer discounts to customers as young as 50, as we detail in “6 Ways to Score ‘Senior’ Discounts on Car Rentals After Turning 50.”