- Waiting in Line for an iPhone: What Makes Some People Behave Like Cows
- Take 5: A Roundup of Reads From Around the Web
- New California Law Protects Online Reviewers
- Ask Stacy: If I Temporarily Lose My Health Insurance, Will I Get Fined?
- 15 Awesome Adult Uses for Baby Powder
- The Eagles Ban Cellphones During Their Classic Rock Concerts
- Tons of Simple Hacks for Stuff You Do Every Day
- How to Keep Your Grandparents From Being Ripped Off by Mail Scams
Last year we did a story called “You Can Now Get Free Internet at Home and Away.” It was about a couple of companies offering free, albeit limited, Internet service. One of the companies we mentioned in that article was FreedomPop.
When you sign up for FreedomPop, you get a small wireless Internet hot spot. Anytime you want to browse the Web, turn it on, connect a computer and you’re ready to go. You can connect up to eight devices on one account, like laptops, smartphones and tablet PCs, including iPads.
FreedomPop has different costs depending on how you browse the Web, from free on up.
First, you’ll need to buy the hot spot, which retails for up to $99. (We’re offering a much better deal, so read on.) But here’s the best part: They offer 500MB of 4G wireless Internet usage free every month. While that isn’t a lot, you can do some basic things.
For example, uSwitch says it takes 100KB to browse a Web page or read an email. Other things are bigger data hogs. Downloading a photo takes about 2MB and downloading a song, 5MB. So, you could do one of the following with 500MB:
- Browse 5,000 Web pages.
- Check 5,000 emails.
- Download 250 photos.
- Download 100 MP3s.
That’s probably enough for a very casual user, but if you use streaming services like Netflix, download a lot of music, or stay online for hours at a time, you’ll need more data.
With FreedomPop, you get 500MB free as long as you want and they never require contracts. If you go over, the next service tier is $17.99 for 2GB of data. The next tier is $28.99 per month for 4GB.
A special deal for Money Talks News readers
We’ve done two stories about FreedomPop over the last couple of years, which steered a lot of business their way. So we recently contacted the company and asked them if they wanted to partner with us by providing our readers a special deal and giving us a referral fee for new customers we help sign up. They agreed.
Here’s the special offer they came up with for our readers:
Photon 4G wireless hot spot (normally as much as $99) + 3GB of data (first month only) + free shipping for $19.99
So what you’re getting for $19.99 is a hot spot and 3GB of data during the first month. After that, you’ll get 500MB free every month.
Some important caveats:
- As with a cellphone, before you order this or any wireless Internet service, make sure you’re in a covered area. Use this coverage map to check your area. (If you receive the hot spot and it doesn’t work, they offer a 30-day return policy.)
- After your trial month, unless you cancel you’ll continue on the 2GB plan at the $17.99-a-month rate. Note: You must cancel within 30 days to avoid being charged. (The FreedomPop folks assure us it’s not hard to cancel. You can either do it online or by calling (888) 743-8107.) If you cancel, after the first month you’ll be on the free monthly Internet plan, which offers 500MB of free data every month — no strings attached. FreedomPop’s services don’t come with any contracts.
- To make sure you don’t get charged for going over the 500MB limit, after opening your account, uncheck the “Automatic Top-Up” feature. Otherwise, should you exceed 500MB, you’ll automatically get more data and be charged for it.
- Download the FreedomPop app and you can use your smartphone to keep track of your data usage. This is another method to make sure you don’t use more data than you intend.
Interested in the offer? Click here to get started!
Note: As mentioned above, Money Talks News is being compensated by FreedomPop.