- Now You Can Make Returns at Sears Without Leaving Your Car
- Ask Stacy: How Can I Know I’ll Have Enough to Retire?
- Avoid Airline Fees with Airline Co-Branded Credit Cards
- Panama Tops Ranking of Countries for Well-Being; US is No. 12
- New Rules Mean Hundreds in Energy Savings With Your Next Refrigerator
- Open Enrollment: Your Company’s Flexible Spending Account Is Probably Better Than It Used to Be
- 8 Ways to Pay Less for Baby-Sitting
- Waiting in Line for an iPhone: What Makes Some People Behave Like Cows
Flowers are a beautiful and popular way to show love and appreciation for Mom. But when it comes to ordering flowers online, is what you see what Mom will get?
Consumer Reports compared eight similarly priced floral arrangements from two of the biggest online flower delivery services — 1-800-Flowers.com and FTD.com.
The survey process looked something like this: Consumer Reports took pictures of the arrangements and then had 112 people rate them on how happy they’d be to receive them. The participants were polled a second time, comparing the actual arrangements with the photos used on the website.
So, how did the flowers rate? According to Consumer Reports:
Overall, our respondents were pretty happy with all of the arrangements until they compared them with their online photos. Then they were very disappointed with the fact that there were flower substitutions in the mixed bouquets and that none of the arrangements looked as nice as the online photos.
So, in that case, you’re probably in luck. It’s doubtful that your mom is going to compare her flowers with the online pictures.
Also noted by Consumer Reports:
- Delivery guarantee and cancellations. 1-800-Flowers-com allows orders to be canceled until they’re en route. The company said it can’t guarantee delivery on major holidays, like Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day and Christmas, but it can guarantee delivery during that week. Regarding FTD.com, Consumer Reports said, “During heavy traffic times (such as Mother’s Day and Valentine’s Day) cancellations may have to be requested within 24 hours of placing an order.”
- Survey results. 1-800-Flowers was the winner for both the participants’ favorite arrangement and least favorite flowers. But overall, respondents were more satisfied with FTD, even though its arrangements were smaller than expected.
I usually receive flowers for Mother’s Day. But instead of a floral arrangement, my husband usually picks out a hanging petunia basket that I can enjoy on our patio all summer long.
What are you planning on getting your mom for Mother’s Day? Share your thoughts below or on our Facebook page.