Recently, Amazon decided yet again to hike the minimum amount you need to purchase to qualify for free shipping. Doing so has brought attention to the retail giant’s competitors with lower minimums.
Amazon’s minimum is now $49 — a 40 percent increase — while Target, for example, requires online shoppers to spend a minimum of only $25 at a time to qualify for free shipping. Walmart and Best Buy have $35 minimums.
But there are also plenty of online stores that continue to ship for free — no purchase minimum or promo code is required. We’ve identified 25 of them.
Sure, these retailers can’t compete with Amazon, as they tend to sell a limited range of product types with prices ranging from moderate on up. But they sell items that are also offered on Amazon.
So check this list before you next shop Amazon for items that total less than $50.
And don’t forget to check a cash-back portal like Ebates as well. You’ll likely save money because most of the 25 sites highlighted below partner with Ebates, which essentially pays you to shop online. (Such shopping portals get a commission from stores when you make a purchase, and Ebates opts to share a percentage of that money with you.)
For example, if you want to earn cash back while shopping at Nordstrom, instead of going directly to Nordstrom.com, visit Ebates’ Nordstrom page and click on the orange “Shop Now” button.
Now, on to the retailers that offer free shipping on all purchases. It is important to note that in most cases, it is only “standard shipping” that is free. Also, free rates may not apply in Alaska and Hawaii:
- Ashford, an online-only retailer that sells designer watches for men and women
- Asics, a brand of athletic shoes and clothing for men, women and children
- Barneys New York, an upscale department store
- BaubleBar, an online-only retailer that sells women’s fashion jewelry
- Bergdorf Goodman, an upscale department store
- Blue Nile, an online-only retailer that sells fine jewelry for men and women
- Coach, a designer brand of bags and other accessories for men and women
- Dell, a retailer that sells computer, electronics and accessories
- DermStore, an online-only retailer that sells makeup, skin care and hair care products
- Hush Puppies, a comfort-shoe brand for men, women and children
- Jack Spade, a designer brand of clothing and accessories for men
- Kate Spade, a designer brand of clothing, shoes and accessories for women and children, as well as home decor
- L.L.Bean, a brand of clothing and shoes for men, women and children as well as luggage and outdoor equipment, including hunting and fishing gear
- LovelySkin, a dermatologist-owned retailer that sells makeup, skin care and hair care products
- Madewell, a retailer that sells women’s jeans as well as other women’s clothing, shoes and accessories
- Molton Brown, a British brand of bath and body products
- Neiman Marcus, an upscale department store
- Nordstrom, an upscale department store
- Perricone MD, a dermatologist-backed brand of skin care products
- Philips, a brand of personal care, baby and household products
- Ray-Ban, a brand of sunglasses and eyeglasses
- Smashbox, a brand of makeup
- Sunglass Hut, a retailer that sells sunglasses for men and women
- Theory, a brand of clothing, bags and accessories for men and women as well as shoes for women
- Zappos.com, an online-only retailer that specializes in shoes for men, women and children but also sells clothing and accessories for men, women and children as well as handbags
Have you ever shopped at one of these companies online? Tell us about your experience by leaving a comment below or on our Facebook page.