- 16 Handy Uses for Plastic Bottles and Jugs
- 11 Ways to Nail Savings on Your Remodeling Project
- How to Get a Grip on Your Retirement Savings and Security
- The U.S. Park Where You Can Find Big Diamonds
- 6 Ways to Save on Trips to Spectacular U.S. National Parks
- 10 Ways Being Frugal Can Actually Cost You Money
3. Receiving the worst room
Most hotels would rather have their customers book their rooms directly than have to pay a commission to online portals. These properties may look at customers who book through portals as being less profitable and less loyal. Therefore, they’re more likely to offer these customers less desirable rooms – such as those that haven’t been renovated or are in a noisy area.
How to avoid this: Before you leave home, do your research on sites like TripAdvisor that offer opinions on not just the hotel itself, but which rooms are best. Then, contact the hotel the morning before you check in and ask them to set aside one of the rooms you would like. Finally, the earlier you arrive, the less likely you are to be stuck with worst room in the house.