- 16 Cheap Ways to Get Moving, Feel Younger and Live Longer
- 10 Ways to Get Free Lodging on Your Summer Vacation
- You Probably Pay Too Much for These 10 Things
- Quiz: What’s the Main Ingredient in Almond Milk?
- Fidelity Warns That Boomers Are Too Invested in Stocks
- How Americans Rate Their Fiscal and Physical Fitness
3. Receiving the worst room
Most hotels would rather have their customers book their rooms directly than have to pay a commission to online portals. These properties may look at customers who book through portals as being less profitable and less loyal. Therefore, they’re more likely to offer these customers less desirable rooms – such as those that haven’t been renovated or are in a noisy area.
How to avoid this: Before you leave home, do your research on sites like TripAdvisor that offer opinions on not just the hotel itself, but which rooms are best. Then, contact the hotel the morning before you check in and ask them to set aside one of the rooms you would like. Finally, the earlier you arrive, the less likely you are to be stuck with worst room in the house.