Surviving an IRS Audit – Finding Help

What's Hot

How a Mexican Tariff Will Boost the Cost of 6 Common PurchasesFamily

Report: Walmart to Begin Selling CarsCars

How to Protect Yourself From the ‘Can You Hear Me?’ Phone ScamFamily

Trump Scraps FHA Rate Cut — What Does It Mean for You?Borrow

This Free Software Brings Old Laptops Back to LifeMore

10 Overlooked Expenses That Ruin Your BudgetFamily

Protecting Trump Will Cost Taxpayers $35 MillionFamily

8 Creative Ways to Clear ClutterAround The House

8 Tuition-Free U.S. CollegesCollege

Study: People Who Curse Are More HonestFamily

Tax Hacks 2017: Don’t Miss These 16 Often-Overlooked Tax BreaksTaxes

The 3 Golden Rules of Lending to Friends and FamilyBorrow

Porta-Potties for Presidential Inauguration Cause a StinkFamily

12 Surprising Ways to Wreck Your Credit ScoreBorrow

These Are the 25 Best Jobs in the U.S.Jobs & Work

We have an employee that has received a notice from the IRS stating he owes mega bucks. He needs representation. How does he go about getting it?

Q: “We have an employee that has received a notice from the IRS stating he owes mega bucks.  He needs representation.  How does he go about getting it?”

A: If your employee used a tax professional to prepare their taxes, that should be their first stop. If they didn’t, or they don’t trust their ability to help with this issue, they’ll need to start from scratch.  The best way to find a tax professional is a referral from a friend or colleague… keeping in mind that the goal is to find a pro who has expertise with their specific type of problem (in this case an IRS back-tax issue)  If they can’t find any personal referrals, they can contact your state’s Society of CPAs and get a referral from them, or the national association of CPAs: Once they have a list of 3 to 5 possible experts, they should call each one with a list of questions. For example, explaining the problem and asking each what course of action they’d recommend. Asking about cost. If they have the time to do this correctly. If they have experience specific to their situation. They should ask about the possibility of getting the IRS assessment reduced.  You get the idea.  After asking consistent questions of each professional on the list, one should emerge as a favorite. Then they make an appointment…hopefully sooner rather than later…and they’re in business.

Depending on the complexity and nature of the IRS letter, they might also consider a tax attorney. But they’re the most expensive, so I’d start with a CPA first.

Hope that helps!

Stacy Johnson

It's not the usual blah, blah, blah

I know... every site you visit wants you to subscribe to their newsletter. But our news and advice is actually worth reading! For 25 years, I've been making people richer without making their eyes glaze over. You'll be glad you did. I guarantee it!


Read Next: Where to Sell Your Stuff for Top Dollar

Check Out Our Hottest Deals!

We're always adding new deals and coupons that'll save you big bucks. See the deals to the right and hundreds more in our Deals section.

Click here to explore 1,827 more deals!