Why Hop Production Is Really Hopping This Year

What's Hot


2 Types of Black Marks Might Vanish From Your Credit File SoonBorrow

6 Ways the Obamacare Overhaul Might Impact Your WalletInsurance

7 Dumb and Costly Moves Homebuyers MakeBorrow

This Free Software Brings Old Laptops Back to LifeMore

Obamacare Replacement Plan Gets ‘F’ Rating from Consumer ReportsFamily

Beware These 12 Common Money MistakesCredit & Debt

21 Restaurants Offering Free Food Right NowSaving Money

17 Ways to Have More Fun for Less MoneySave

House Hunters: Beware of These 6 Mortgage MistakesBorrow

30 Household Uses for Baby OilSave

25 Ways to Spend Less on FoodMore

Nearly Half of Heart-Related Deaths Linked to These 10 Foods and IngredientsFamily

5 Surprising Benefits of Exercising Outdoors in WinterFamily

10 Ways to Save When You’re Making Minimum WageSave

Boost Your Credit Score Fast With These 7 MovesCredit & Debt

7 Painless Ways to Pay Off Your Mortgage Years EarlierBorrow

The Most Sinful City in the U.S. Is … (Hint: It’s Not Vegas)Family

The True Cost of Bad CreditCredit & Debt

10 Companies With the Best 401(k) PlansGrow

This Scam Now Tops ID Theft as the No. 2 Consumer ComplaintFamily

6 Stores With Awesome Reward ProgramsFamily

6 Ways to Save More at Lowe’s and The Home DepotSave

6 Healthful Treats for Your DogFamily

New Study Ranks the Best States in the U.S.Family

Thousands of Millionaires Moving to 1 Country — and Leaving AnotherGrow

Strapped for College Costs? How to Get the Most From FAFSABorrow

6 Overlooked Ways to Save at Chick-fil-AFamily

Ask Stacy: What’s the Fastest Way to Pay Off My Mortgage?Borrow

Where to Sell Your Stuff for Top DollarAround The House

8 Ways to Get a Good Price on a Shiny New AutoCars

Ask Stacy: How Do I Start Over?Credit & Debt

Secret Cell Plans: Savings Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint Don’t Want You to Know AboutFamily

30 Awesome Things to Do in RetirementCollege

14 Super Smart Ways to Save on TravelSave

The Rich Prefer Modest Cars — Should You Join Them?Cars

You’ll Soon Pay More to Shop at CostcoSave

10 Ways to Save When Your Teen Starts DrivingFamily

A growing love of craft beers helped push hop prices to record highs this year, making 2015 a banner year for hop growers.

With U.S. hop production up 11 percent over 2014 and prices reaching new highs, 2015 was a great year to be a hop grower, and those growers have Americans’ love of craft beer to thank.

The increased popularity of craft brews drove both production growth and many growers’ transition to planting higher-value aroma hops, according to the Capital Press.

Hops are used primarily as a flavoring and balancing agent in beer. With U.S. breweries hitting a record high 4,144 in 2015, a number that’s growing by the day, it’s no wonder that hops are in high demand. Craft breweries have projected 20 percent annual growth for the next five years.

Nearly 75 percent of U.S. hops are grown in Washington state. The remaining 25 percent comes from Idaho and Oregon. Together, the three states produce roughly a third of the global supply of hops.

All three Pacific Northwest states increased hop production this year, with Idaho harvesting its biggest crop since 1944 and Washington producing its highest hop crop since 1915, according to the USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service. This, despite an early season heat wave and lower than average winter snowpack level, which affect irrigation.

“Considering those challenges and the amount of first-year plants in the ground, which have smaller yield, we are pleased with the final count and looking forward to next year,” Ann George, executive director of Hop Growers of America, told the Capital Press. She said hop acreage is expected to continue growing in the Pacific Northwest, even though it has increased by 48 percent in the last three years.

The average price per pound for hops reached a record high $4.38 per pound in 2015, compared to $3.67 last year and $3.35 in 2013. George said craft breweries’ demand for higher-value aroma varieties of hops “has challenged the industry to continue to expand production at an equivalent rate.”

Meanwhile, European hop producers had a tough year. Drought dropped production levels by 24 percent from 2014.

Check out “Many Drinkers No Longer Pop a Top on These 7 Beers.”

Are you a craft beer lover? Share your comments below or on our Facebook page.

Stacy Johnson

It's not the usual blah, blah, blah

I know... every site you visit wants you to subscribe to their newsletter. But our news and advice is actually worth reading! For 25 years, I've been making people richer without making their eyes glaze over. You'll be glad you did. I guarantee it!

💰🗣📰

Read Next: 11 Tested Tips to Fend Off Holiday Weight Gain

Check Out Our Hottest Deals!

We're always adding new deals and coupons that'll save you big bucks. See the deals to the right and hundreds more in our Deals section.

Click here to explore 2,060 more deals!