- Waiting in Line for an iPhone: What Makes Some People Behave Like Cows
- America’s Most Overrated Jobs
- Walmart’s New Employee Dress Code Sparks Debate
- 10 Silly Sales Tactics You Fall for Every Day
- The Restless Project: Will I Have to Live With a Roommate Forever?
- Take 5: A Roundup of Reads From Around the Web
- Feds Target Suspected Payday Loan Scams
- America’s 10 Best Cities to Live In
The average cable bill is now close to $100 bucks a month..an increase of nearly 80% in the last 10 years. But you may have more control over this bill than you think.
Want a lower pay TV bill? It may be as simple as just asking. Here’s how to do it:
First, decide what you really want. If you’re not watching those expensive movie channels, dump em. If you’re a movie buff, a service like Netflix may offer more recent movies at a lower price anyway.
Step 2: Surf the web and see what deals are out there for new customers, both for cable and satellite.
Then, call your current provider and ask for the cancellation department. Tell them about better deals elsewhere and that you’re thinking of switching. Ask for a better deal.
I tried this out and it worked. I called my cable company’s cancellation department armed with deals to be had on satellite. They immediately offered me a $10 a month credit for 6 months… $15 when I asked for a supervisor. The call took 13 minutes total. Not bad to save $90.
Pay TV providers are getting more competitive because of the crummy economy, plus a lot of shows are now available free online… so it’s possible to cut the cable entirely.
Bottom line? Sometimes the best way to save money is also the easiest. You just find cheaper alternatives. Then call that expensive service on the phone and you just ask for a better deal.