From partner site The Partybluprints Blog…
Want to have a festive Easter celebration without breaking the bank? We reached out to our friends at The Partybluprints Blog for a few ideas to make the celebration great. Check out the video and see a breakdown after…
- Host a brunch, not dinner. Gear your meal toward breakfast and substitute starches like pancakes, waffles, and breads for more expensive proteins and vegetables. If meat is a must-have on your menu, choose ham and not lamb – it’s about half the price per pound and it’s easier to prepare.
- Starches are a great way to stretch your dollar. If brunch is not your thing and you’re on a seriously tight budget, serve pasta with vegetables and diced ham. It’s a delicious way to satisfy your guests while giving them all the tastes of a more traditional meal.
- Steer clear of expensive fruit trays and platters. These are budget busters! Instead, serve a spinach salad with strawberries. Both are in season, so they are affordable and at their peak of flavor.
- Avoid the bakery and prepared baked goods aisle at your supermarket. Bake, don’t buy, and save a bundle!
- Stretch the wine. If you want to serve wine this Easter but think it’s too expensive to serve a crowd, try this trick: Don’t dismiss the wine, make a little go a long way by stretching it with juice or seltzer – wine spritzers and sangria are festive options.
- Don’t fall into the trap of buying Easter egg-dying kits. Keep your money in your pocket, because you already have what you need at home. Use two standard pantry items – white vinegar and food coloring – and water to dye your eggs. The general rule is mix 1 teaspoon of white vinegar and 1 cup of hot water, and then add drops of food color until you’re happy with the hue. The directions are on the back of many food-coloring packages.
- Make your decorations pull double duty for you. Buy potted plants to use as Easter centerpieces and decorations instead of cut flowers, which will die within days. When Easter is over, plant the potted plants in your outdoor garden.