- The Most and Least Expensive States to Own a Car
- Identify That Mystery Hotel Before You Book It
- Millennials Are Best About Paying Their Mortgages on Time
- The Allure of Medical Magnets and Other Unproven ‘Cures’
- 10 College Majors You May Regret Choosing
- Should the Knee Defender Be Allowed on Airline Flights?
- Wireless Carriers Duke It Out With Unlimited Data Plans
- You Won’t Believe What Hotels Are Charging for Now
Online superstars can get discounts and freebies, thanks to an American Airlines partnership with social media service Klout.
Visit AA’s Klout page and link up your Facebook or Twitter account to see your score and what it’s worth.
You may be able to get a one-day pass for the airline’s Admirals Club lounge, a discount on an annual membership or — if you’re really someone special — a free one-year membership.
My Klout score of 44 was only good enough for a $50 discount on an annual membership, which is normally between $400 and $500. Money Talks News founder Stacy Johnson used our site’s Twitter account, which has a score of 65 — more than the 55 needed for a free one-day pass, which usually costs $50.
There are 37 lounge locations, and you can see the full list of them here. The amenities include:
- Free wine, beer and spirits.
- Personal assistance with reservations.
- Free coffee, tea, soft drinks and light snacks.
- Free Wi-Fi and free use of PCs.
- Work areas and access to copiers.
- Showers, cyber cafés and children’s rooms in some locations.
The promotion is open through May 31, so there’s time to check your score out on Klout directly and try to raise it if you’re close to a threshold. Scores go up to 100, but even a celebrity like Justin Bieber has a score of only 92.