This week we celebrate our inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness — so now’s a great time to talk about how to pursue it.
Business Insider has rounded up some scientific research on how people can make themselves happier. Having good friends, a healthy relationship and being charitable are all obvious ones, but here are some others BI mentions:
- Count your blessings. Multiple independent studies show making a daily list of at least three things (even small ones) that made us happy that day make us happier in the long run.
- Shake it up. New experiences stimulate our minds and make us happier.
- Enjoy waiting. Having something to look forward to, such as a nice dinner or an upcoming vacation, can make us happier even before the experience we’re anticipating.
- See more blue. We may have “feeling blue” all wrong; research suggests this color is the most likely to reduce stress and boost happiness.
- Get enough sleep. A British study found that six hours and 15 minutes of uninterrupted sleep are a key ingredient to happiness.
What do you do to make yourself smile? Let’s gin up some happiness on our Facebook page.
Sign up for our free newsletter
Like this article? Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you a regular digest of our newest stories, full of money saving tips and advice, free! We'll also email you a PDF of Stacy Johnson's '205 Ways to Save Money' as soon as you've subscribed. It's full of great tips that'll help you save a ton of extra cash. It doesn't cost a dime, so why wait? Click here to sign up now.