- New California Law Protects Online Reviewers
- Marriott Drops A Hint: Please Tip the Maid
- New Security Measure Targets Card Thieves at Gas Pumps
- Ask Stacy: If I Temporarily Lose My Health Insurance, Will I Get Fined?
- The 5 Reasons People Fall for Scams and Gotchas
- 15 Awesome Adult Uses for Baby Powder
- The Eagles Ban Cellphones During Their Classic Rock Concerts
- 7 Percent of US Workers Have Garnished Wages
Chicken piccata is a popular, classic Italian dish prepared in a single pan. The lemony, buttery sauce makes it a favorite for many people. And this Frugal Family Feast recipe will feed a family of four for less than $15.
There’s a lot to love about chicken piccata. Beautifully browned chicken is bathed in a light and fresh lemon-butter sauce with capers.
Preparing the chicken
Chef Jorge started by seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper, then dredging it in a little bit of flour. Make sure to shake off the excess flour to leave a thin coating.
He then heated some olive oil and butter in a frying pan and seared the chicken on each side for about three minutes, giving it a nice, golden-brown color. Set the chicken aside.
Making the sauce
The sauce is made right in the pan used to brown the chicken, taking advantage of those savory, browned bits left in the pan.
The capers come packed in brine, so make sure to rinse them before you use them or your dish will be too salty. Add lemon juice, chicken stock and capers to the pan and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and simmer for five minutes. Then remove the chicken and finish the sauce with some butter.
You can eat this alone, but it’s also delicious served over angel hair pasta or rice pilaf.
Chicken piccata with lemon caper sauce – courtesy of Chef Jorge Montes
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut in half
- About a half cup of all-purpose flour, enough for dredging the chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup brined capers, rinsed
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
To prepare the chicken:
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When butter and oil start to sizzle, add two pieces of chicken and cook for three minutes.
- When chicken is browned, flip and cook for another three minutes. Remove and transfer to plate.
- Sear all of the chicken breasts and let rest.
To prepare the sauce:
- Add lemon juice, chicken stock and capers to the pan. Bring to a boil.
- Place all of the chicken in the pan and simmer for five minutes.
- Remove chicken and place it on a platter.
- Add remaining butter to the sauce and whisk vigorously.
- Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.
After you try this recipe, let us know how you like it below or on our Facebook page.