- 20 Simple Hacks to Make Your Stuff Last Longer
- Don’t Buy These Items at Walmart. They’re Cheaper Elsewhere
- 12 Commonly Overlooked Expenses That Are Ruining Your Budget
- 8 Ways to Feel Rich When You’re Not
- 8 Surefire Ways to Get Anyone to Like You in 90 Seconds
- 5 Strange Ways to Stay Cool Without Air Conditioning
Dollar stores lure us in with rock-bottom prices. Sometimes you get what you pay for, but often the things they sell are good products at a tremendous discount — a real bargain.
Money Talks News founder Stacy Johnson talked to a savings expert to find out what types of items you should definitely buy at a dollar store. Watch the video, and then keep reading for more dollar store deals.
1. Greeting cards
There is no reason to spend $4 to $5 or more on a greeting card when dollar stores typically have a wide selection available for a buck or less. You might not get textured paper or fancy extras such as ribbon, but the heartfelt message you write will be the same regardless of how expensive the card looks.
2. Party supplies
By some estimates, you can save up to 70 percent by using party supplies from a dollar store. Get plastic tablecloths, paper plates and cups, streamers and favors from the dollar store and save a bundle. Don’t forget to look for Mylar/foil balloons, too. These are an absolute bargain and can easily sell for five times as much elsewhere.
3. Gift bags, boxes and wrapping paper
While you’re getting your party supplies, look for gift bags and wrapping paper, too. You could end up paying two or three times more for gift bags and boxes at other stores. In addition, wrapping paper can be a steal. You might not get the same thickness of expensive paper, but for something that’s going to end up in the trash, why pay more?