You're not always doing your wallet a favor by shopping at the retail giant. Steer clear if you are in the market for books, organic products and more.
Walmart often touts its stores’ “always low prices.” And though the retail giant’s prices are often hard to beat, there are times when you should skip shopping at Walmart if you want to get the best price on an item.
Here are nine items you should never buy at Walmart:
- Gift cards: Walmart has a decent selection of gift cards for retailers and restaurants. But instead of purchasing a gift card for full price at Walmart, why not check out discount gift card seller CardPool, where you can save up to 35 percent off face value.
- Entertainment: If you’re looking for cheap books, you’re typically better off shopping online. Amazon offers some of the lowest prices on books. If you’re looking for tunes, steer clear of the CD aisle at the retail superstore and consider signing up for a music streaming service like Spotify Premium or Apple Music, both of which cost less than $10 a month.
- Kids toys and games: Before you pick up the latest Lego set or board game at Walmart, check its price on Amazon. According to Kiplinger, Amazon often beats Walmart’s prices on toys and games by several dollars.
- Snack foods: Although Walmart does offer inexpensive store-brand snacks, if you’re looking for cheap cookies, crackers, chips and other snack items, head to your local dollar store.
- Organic produce: Kerry Sherin, a savings expert from Offers.com, told GoBankingRates that stores with organic roots like Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s typically have a better selection and better prices on organic fruits and veggies than Walmart. “Shopping at stores with organic roots makes sense when these are the items you are purchasing,” Sherin explains.
- Brand-name diapers: I prefer Pampers over store brand diapers. I spent a lot of time pricing them at different retailers when I first started buying them back in 2010, and Amazon was the cheapest option. It’s an even better deal when you sign up for the free Amazon Family program, which could score you an even bigger diaper discount.
- Gift wrapping items: You’ll really reap the savings by bypassing Walmart and heading to your local dollar store to stock up on gift bags, wrapping paper, tissue, bows and ribbon.
- Party supplies: Although Walmart does offer inexpensive party supplies, like plates, balloons, party favors and décor items, you can easily beat their prices by purchasing those items at the dollar store.
- Batteries: According to Kiplinger, you could pay up to twice as much per Duracell AA battery at Walmart than you would at Costco. So next time you need batteries, skip Walmart and hit up a warehouse club instead.
Do you comparison shop for prices? What do you think of Walmart’s prices? Share your comments below or on our Facebook page.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.