Estate Planning Lessons From James Gandolfini’s Will

What's Hot

23 Upgrades Under $50 to Make Your House Look AwesomeAround The House

Trump Worth $10 Billion Less Than If He’d Simply Invested in Index FundsBusiness

Do This or Your iPhone Bill May SkyrocketSave

11 Places in the World Where You Can Afford to Retire in StyleMore

19 Moves That Will Help You Retire Early and in StyleFamily

What You Need to Know for 2017 Obamacare EnrollmentFamily

8 Things Rich People Buy That Make Them Look DumbAround The House

50 Ways to Make a Fast $50 (or Lots More)Grow

32 of the Highest-Paid American SpeakersMake

The 35 Two-Year Colleges That Produce the Highest EarnersCollege

5 DIY Ways to Make Your Car Smell GreatCars

Amazon Prime No Longer Pledges Free 2-Day Shipping on All ItemsMore

More Caffeine Means Less Dementia for WomenFamily

7 Household Hacks That Save You CashAround The House

5 Reasons a Roth IRA Should Be Part of Your Retirement PlanGrow

30 Awesome Things to Do in RetirementCollege

Beware These 10 Retail Sales Tricks That Get You to Spend MoreMore

9 Tips to Ensure You’ll Have Enough to RetireFamily

The former "Sopranos" star's will has been criticized for being too complicated and for unnecessarily leaving money on the table for Uncle Sam.

Several experts have claimed the poor construction of actor James Gandolfini’s will, which became public after his death, could lead to lawsuits from his heirs, The New York Times says.

Because his will indicated fixed amounts for some people and percentages for others, including roughly 20 percent for his wife, “he created a very complex tax calculation to determine how his wife’s tax-free share influenced the other 80 percent,” the Times says.

The taxes themselves are a bigger issue to some people. Some say Gandolfini, much beloved for his role as Tony Soprano in the “The Sopranos” HBO show, could have shielded his assets better, instead of leaving “close to 80 percent subject to state and federal taxes that together can reach a rate of 55 percent,” CNBC says.

Here’s what CNBC suggests people can do to keep their assets from getting whacked after death:

  • Take greater advantage of the marital deduction. Assets that go to a surviving spouse aren’t taxed. That’s one of the issues that brought gay marriage before the U.S. Supreme Court: A woman whose same-sex spouse had died wanted the same tax benefits heterosexual married couples get, which would have saved her $360,000.
  • Use trusts to dodge estate taxes. A living trust can be created while the trustor (giver) is still alive, and the held money can be invested and grown. It can then be distributed at some point after death, and assets in trusts avoid estate taxes.
  • Pair trusts with life insurance. By creating trusts and having the trustee (money holder) take out life insurance on him, Gandolfini could have made sure money would be available even if the trust assets didn’t have much time to grow. (He was only 51 when he died.)
  • Delay inheritance. Gandolfini specified that his infant daughter would get her share when she turned 21. Of course, 21-year-olds often don’t make the greatest financial decisions, so some people make money in trusts available at age 25 or later. Another option is to specify that the person receives a portion at one age and the rest at another.

We have more advice on how to create a will cheaply and how to plan for one in the links below. Cover your assets.

Stacy Johnson

It's not the usual blah, blah, blah

I know... every site you visit wants you to subscribe to their newsletter. But our news and advice is actually worth reading! For 25 years, I've been making people richer without making their eyes glaze over. You'll be glad you did. I guarantee it!


Read Next: 5 Expenses That Vanish During Retirement

Check Out Our Hottest Deals!

We're always adding new deals and coupons that'll save you big bucks. See the deals to the right and hundreds more in our Deals section.

Click here to explore 1,651 more deals!