You can now estimate and apply for Social Security benefits online, plus track lifetime earnings.
- Estimates of the retirement and disability benefits you may receive;
- Estimates of benefits your family may get when you receive Social Security or die;
- A list of your lifetime earnings according to Social Security’s records;
- The estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid;
- Information about qualifying and signing up for Medicare;
- Things to consider for those age 55 and older who are thinking of retiring;
- General information about Social Security for everyone;
- The opportunity to apply online for retirement and disability benefits; and
- A printable version of your Social Security Statement.
It’s important to make sure the SSA’s information accurately reflects your income and taxes, since those numbers will affect potential retirement and disability benefits, which in turn affect your retirement planning. So check it out.
And while you may just want to help, NFCC warns not to create an account for anyone but yourself, since “unauthorized use could subject you to criminal and/or civil penalties.”