- 10 Strategies to Retire Earlier Than Your Friends on the Same Salary
- 8 Easy Ways to Save on Your Next Football Party
- Best US States for Young People
- The 10 Most Expensive Neighborhoods for Renters
- The Best and Worst Things to Buy in October
- Walmart Offers an Alternative to a Bank Checking Account
- Ask Stacy: The Millennials Are Ruining This Country. What Can We Do?
- 4 Months of Emails Are MIA — What Should We Do?
When it comes to everything from gas to groceries, more and more Americans are heading to warehouse clubs in search of bargains. There are now more than 1,100 of these stores nationwide doing more than 100 billion dollars in sales.
But not everything found in a warehouse store is a bargain, and price comparison with traditional stores isn’t always easy. And membership costs money… $40 to a $100.
So what’s going to make that membership worthwhile? According to a recent issue of Smart Money Magazine, here are the 5 best deals in no particular order…
Number one? Alcohol. According to Smart Money, you save up to 35% on beer wine and liquor at warehouse clubs, with the greatest savings coming on high-end, expensive stuff. Added bonus? Most states allow you to buy alcohol without paying a membership.
Next? Dairy products, especially milk, butter and eggs. Savings? Around 20%.
The picture may also be brighter on electronics. And compare warranties… they may be longer in a warehouse store than at mainstream retailers.
Meat may also be a better deal, especially high-end meat like lamb and steaks.
And rounding out the top five is drugs, especially the prescription variety.
Bottom line? You can get great deals at warehouse clubs, but the same rules apply here as anywhere else: use a list and comparison shop. Oh, and don’t come in for milk and walk out with a flat-screen TV.