- 7 Tips to Slash the Cost of Car Repairs
- Millennials Prefer Plastic to Cash for Small Purchases
- Many Believe That Carrying a Balance Will Improve Their Credit Score
- The Top-Rated Credit Cards in the US
- 17 Remarkably Easy Ways to Raise Holiday Shopping Cash
- Take 5: A Roundup of Reads From Around the Web
- Want to Improve Your Health? Contribute to a 401(k)
- JPMorgan Chase, Other Big Banks Fall Prey to Hackers
1. Dropped bookings
CNN Money recently documented a case wherereporter confirmed a hotel room through Expedia, only to find out that property couldn’t accommodate him. It was later revealed that Expedia’s reservation system wasn’t synchronized with the hotel’s, which had already sold out. Other travel sites reported these same problems happening on occasion, with the notable exception of Priceline.
How to avoid this: To ensure availability, contact the hotel directly to confirm your reservation. It’s always possible that even if you do this, there may still be a problem by the time you arrive. But it’s much less likely. And it helps to note the name of the person you spoke with, as well as the time and day.