How about a dinner that’s as colorful as it is delicious? This week’s Frugal Family Feast serves up a recipe for rainbow rice to feed a family of four for less than $15.
Chef Marcela Guzman Galan, instructor at the International Culinary School at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale, shared her technique with Money Talks News founder Stacy Johnson. Watch the video and read on for the recipe.
The pot of gold at the end of this rainbow rice recipe is that you can easily feed four or more people for less than $15. You combine antioxidant-packed vegetables with nutritious chicken and rice for a quick and tasty dinner.
Chef Marcela used a very colorful array of vegetables, and says you can feel free to add or substitute other vegetables your family likes.
You start by seasoning the chicken with a fragrant rub of spices and vinegar, then sautéing it until it’s no longer pink. After you remove the chicken from the pan, you soften the heartiest veggies for a few minutes in the same pan, then slowly add the remaining vegetables. Next, add the dry rice and sauté with the rainbow mixture for about two minutes.
Now you’re ready for chicken, capers and stock. Capers are wonderful, savory, tiny berries packed in a brine, so make sure you rinse them before using. Add the chicken pieces, capers, olives and chicken stock. Taste to see if it needs salt. Bring this to a boil, then turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer the rice, untouched, for about 20 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Taste to make sure the rice is tender and give the dish a bright finish by stirring in cilantro before serving.
Rainbow rice – courtesy of the International Culinary School at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale
- 1 pound chicken, cut into small cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup onion, diced small
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- ½ cup carrots, diced small
- ½ cup celery, diced small
- ¼ cup fresh ginger, minced
- ½ cup peas
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons black or green olives
- ½ cup cilantro, minced
- 4½ cups chicken stock
- Wash the chicken and pat dry.
- Mix together the garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and vinegar; rub into the chicken pieces.
- Brown the chicken in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil until golden, remove and set aside.
- Add onions, ginger, celery and carrots and cook until soft, about three minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and remaining vegetables, stir well and cook two minutes.
- Add rice, and cook while stirring for two minutes.
- Add chicken pieces, capers, olives, stock, and salt to taste. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice and chicken are tender. Toss the cilantro in at the end and serve hot.
After you try this recipe, go to our Facebook page and let us know how you like it.
Sign up for our free newsletter
Like this article? Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you a regular digest of our newest stories, full of money saving tips and advice, free! We'll also email you a PDF of Stacy Johnson's '205 Ways to Save Money' as soon as you've subscribed. It's full of great tips that'll help you save a ton of extra cash. It doesn't cost a dime, so why wait? Click here to sign up now.