Lasagna gets a Latin makeover with a cheesy, creamy corn and chicken recipe that will make your taste buds samba in this week’s Frugal Family Feast, which can feed a family of four for less than $15.
Chef Marcela Guzman Galan, instructor at the International Culinary School at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale, shared her technique with Money Talks News founder Stacy Johnson. Watch the video and read on for the recipe.
This chicken tortilla masterpiece cooks up quickly and is fun to make. You can get kids in on the action by having them help you layer the ingredients.
Chef Marcela used chicken thighs, but you could also use leftovers from a roasted chicken. Try our recipe for citrus herb brined roast chicken.
Corn tortillas are naturally gluten-free, and have a nice bite to them when used for lasagna. If you want a totally gluten-free meal, make sure you choose a gluten-free tomato sauce too. You can also omit the chicken if you don’t eat meat.
Roasting the peppers
Roasted poblano peppers are part of the veggie fiesta in this recipe. They’re mild peppers, but full of flavor. You’ll save money by roasting them yourself, and it’s very easy.
Rub the peppers with olive oil or spray with cooking spray. Roast skin up under the broiler on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil until the skin chars and blisters. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic for 15 minutes. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, remove the skin and the seeds. Then slice.
Chicken corn lasagna – courtesy of the International Culinary School at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound corn tortillas
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 4 poblano peppers, roasted and cut in strips
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 zucchinis, cut in medium dice
- 2 yellow squash, cut in medium dice
- 4 chicken thighs, cut in strips
- 2 carrots, cut in small dice
- 1 cup celery, cut in small dice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add carrots and celery and cook several minutes, then add the rest of the vegetables and herbs. Season to taste. Add tomato sauce. Cook about 10 minutes and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Season the chicken and saute until golden. Set aside.
- Butter a baking dish and place a layer of tortillas on the bottom. Add a quarter of the vegetables, chicken and cheese. Repeat the layers until all of the ingredients are used, saving some cheese for the top.
- Pour heavy cream over the top and finish with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve warm.
After you try this recipe, go to our Facebook page and let us know how you like it.
Sign up for our free newsletter
Like this article? Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you a regular digest of our newest stories, full of money saving tips and advice, free! We'll also email you a PDF of Stacy Johnson's '205 Ways to Save Money' as soon as you've subscribed. It's full of great tips that'll help you save a ton of extra cash. It doesn't cost a dime, so why wait? Click here to sign up now.