Photo by Teri Virbickis / Shutterstock.com
Margaritas, Coronas, tacos, nachos, churros — if it’s associated with Mexico, it’s probably discounted at a restaurant near you this weekend.
That’s because Friday is Cinco de Mayo, a Mexican holiday whose name literally means “the fifth of May” in Spanish.
It started out as a celebration of Mexico’s defeat of France at the Battle of Puebla in 1862, during the Franco-Mexican War. But in the U.S., Cinco de Mayo has evolved into a broader celebration of Mexican culture.
That includes Mexican cuisine. So at restaurants like the following chains, you’ll find deals on Mexican dishes and drinks.
As always, call ahead to confirm the restaurants in your area are participating in these promotions.
To further boost your savings, buy a discounted gift card from a marketplace like Raise or Cardpool before you leave home. To learn more about how they work, check “How Unwanted Gift Cards Saved Me $300 Last Year.”
If you’re celebrating at home this year, see “5 Quick and Easy Ideas for Your Cinco de Mayo Party” instead.
- Bahama Breeze Island Grille: Classic margaritas are $5 on Friday.
- Chuy’s Tex-Mex: It’s Happy Hour all day on Friday, with Floaters for $1 and Coronas $1 off. Plus, on Saturday, Tito’s Handmade Bloody Marys are $5.
- El Pollo Loco: Choose from five coupons collectively worth at least $35 in savings. You can only use one at a time, but they’re valid Friday through Sunday.
- On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina: Margaritas dubbed “Cinco ‘Ritas” are $5 on Friday. Sign up for the loyalty club to get free queso or sopapillas on your next visit.
- TacoTime: Crisp tacos are 79 cents on Friday.
- Tijuana Flats: Mexican draft beers are $2 on Friday, but that’s just the beginning. On Saturday and Sunday, the fiesta continues with $2 Mexican draft beers as well as $2 tacos, $2 chips and salsa, and $2 churros.
- Tio Juan’s Margaritas Mexican Restaurant: All-you-can-eat nachos — Nachos el Deluxo, Nachos Cowabunga, or Tomato and Garlic Nachos — are $5 and regular house margaritas are $5 until 4 p.m. on Friday.
Do you plan to take advantage of any dining deals this weekend? Let us know what restaurant you’re headed to by commenting below or on our Facebook page.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.