(MONEY TALKS NEWS) — From pickling cucumbers to salads, a bottle of white distilled vinegar is a household staple. But, using vinegar as a cleaning item? Yes!
“Vinegar is easily made, it’s very simple, so that’s why it’s so universal it can interact with a lot of different things” said Chemist Deb Houts.
Since 3000 BC in ancient times, vinegar was used for just about everything, like cleaning wounds for example. Several books have been published since, talking about the many uses of vinegar. Author Vicki Lansky published a book called, “Vinegar: Over 400 Various, Versatile, and Very Good Uses You’ve Probably Never Thought Of“, with many other uses besides cooking and cleaning.
“We use vinegar as a disenfectant, we use it to cut grease away”, adds Deb Houts.
Houts tells Money Talks News’s Stacy Johnson, a lot of these household cleaners have ingredients in common with good old vinegar. So, why would you pay big bucks for household cleaners when you could pay just a couple of bucks for a bottle of vinegar?
Here are just a few ways you can utilize the strong smelling stuff. First, dump a little in your garbage disposal.
Houts says, “it does a couple of things there, it takes away the grease if you have grease built up, it gets rid of that smell that you have.”
- Mix two parts vinegar with one part water and you have an all purpose cleaner that’s effective on just about everything, especially windows.
- Add a cup of vinegar to your wash. It reduces the amount of soap you need, keeps colors vibrant, and reduces lint.
- Got a nasty case of athletes foot? Apply vinegar full strength two times a day until the fungus goes away.
- If you have annoying grass or weeds growing around your sidewalk or drive way, douse it with vinegar.
- If you have ant hills in your hard, pour full strength vinegar on them.
Vinegar’s not the only thing here at the grocery store that’s a less expensive substitute; the shelves are full of them. So do yourself a favor, stop watching so much advertising, do a little research and the next thing you know, you’ll be cleaning up.
How to find cheaper car insurance in minutes
Getting a better deal on car insurance doesn't have to be hard. You can have The Zebra, an insurance comparison site compare quotes in just a few minutes and find you the best rates. Consumers save an average of $368 per year, according to the site, so if you're ready to secure your new rate, get started now.