Photo by bluedog studio / Shutterstock.com
Get out your shopping list, wish list, and Mother’s Day and Father’s Day gift idea lists: It’s time to engage in some serious online shopping.
Ebates is offering 15 percent cash back at more than 200 retailers this week in honor of the website’s “birthday.”
That means Ebates will give you 15 percent cash back on online purchases you make from those retailers. Even better, those savings are on top of any discounts from sales or coupons, and any cash back you earn by using a rewards credit card.
We monitor cash-back offers every week, and we see a discount this big and broad only about once a year. So this is a big deal, literally and figuratively.
As of Monday, the 200-odd retailers participating in this promotion included:
- Low- and high-end department stores — from JCPenney to Neiman Marcus
- Discount stores — like Big Lots and Dollar General
- Pet stores — like Petco and PetSmart
- Computer and tech retailers — like Dell and Lenovo
- Sporting goods and sports apparel stores — like Dick’s Sporting Goods and Foot Locker
- Shoe stores — like Clarks, Dr. Scholl’s, Naturalizer, Nine West, Sperry and Toms
- Cosmetics companies — like Lancome, Nars, Prescriptives and Stila
- Designer and luxury brands — like Coach and Cole Haan
A few participating retailers are offering more than 15 percent. As of Monday, they included:
- American Greetings eCards: Offering 30 percent cash back
- Blue Mountain: 30 percent
- FTD Flowers: 30 percent
- ProFlowers: 30 percent
- ProPlants: 30 percent
About Ebates and similar sites
Ebates is a cash-back portal. That means when you shop online through the website, you earn rebates in the form of cash — commonly called “cash back.”
So to earn cash back, take the following steps:
- Visit the Ebates site
- Search for the retailer where you want to shop
- Click the orange “Shop Now” button by the retailer’s name
From there, you will be redirected to the retailer’s website. Alternatively, you can use Ebates’ browser extension or mobile app.
Like other cash-back portals, Ebates receives a commission from retailers for referring online shoppers to those retailers’ websites. Then, Ebates shares that commission with shoppers. So your cash back is your share of that commission.
I pocketed $101.56 in cash back through Ebates last year.
To get started with Ebates or any other cash-back portal, simply sign up for an account. Signing up for and using portals is free.
Even if you already have an Ebates account, check out other portals, as some portals might offer more cash back than others at a given retailer. I now use both Ebates and TopCashback.
To learn more about how these cash-back portals differ, check out my side-by-side comparison in “4 Websites That Pay You to Go Shopping.”
Do you use cash-back portals? Let us know which is your favorite and why. Comment below or over on our Facebook page.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.