Photo (cc) by slightly everything
More Americans are working part-time these days. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, more than 27 million employees worked part-time in January.
Although some employees prefer part-time (or temporary) work, still others have been forced to accept a reduced-hour job because of a lack of permanent, full-time jobs, especially post-recession. We discuss that here: “Are Part-Time and Temp Jobs the New Normal?”
Job search website CareerCast recently compiled its list of the best part-time and temporary gigs for 2015.
The best part-time jobs for 2015 run the full spectrum of the three avenues that constitute part-time employment. One is the traditional part-time job, which offers steady employment at fewer than 40 hours per week. Another is freelance or consulting employment, and the third is seasonal.
My profession, writers/authors, made the list. Although the median hourly wage is $26.89, there is a mere 3 percent hiring outlook.
I love my job. I work about four hours a day, and I arrange my work hours around my kids’ schedules. It’s perfect.
Here are the CareerCast 10 best part-time jobs for 2015:
- Accountant. Median hourly wage: $30.55. Hiring outlook: 13 percent.
- Computer programmer. Median hourly wage: $35.71. Hiring outlook: 8 percent.
- Delivery truck driver. Median hourly wage: $13.23. Hiring outlook: 5 percent.
- Graphic designer. Median hourly wage: $21.11. Hiring outlook: 7 percent.
- Management analyst. Median hourly wage: $37.79. Hiring outlook: 19 percent.
- Market research analyst. Median hourly wage: $28.99. Hiring outlook: 32 percent.
- Material movers. Median hourly wage: $11.04. Hiring outlook: 10 percent.
- Network and computer systems administrator. Median hourly wage: $34.88. Hiring outlook: 12 percent.
- Proofreader/copy maker. Median hourly wage: $15.93. Hiring outlook: 3 percent.
- Writers/authors. Median hourly wage: $26.89. Hiring outlook: 3 percent.
Do you work part-time or full-time? What do you think of CareerCast’s top 10 part-time job list? Share your comments below or on our Facebook page.