One of the best money-saving mobile apps in existence is now even better.
We included Ibotta, a free app available for Android and Apple mobile devices, in “The 5 Best Apps to Make You Money in 2017.” But now it just announced a “huge makeover.”
If you already use Ibotta, skip down to the “What’s new with Ibotta?” section. If you’re new to the app, here’s what you should know about it:
What is Ibotta anyway?
Ibotta is essentially a rebate app. It enables you to get cash rebates on purchases from all kinds of retailers — 337 retailers, to be exact. But we’re not talking about old-school rebates that involve snail-mailing off a photocopy of your receipt and waiting weeks for a paper check.
As the app’s website describes it:
“Ibotta is a free app that pays you cash for everyday purchases. Ditch the coupons and get cash back the fun and easy way. Ibotta has exclusive rebates at your favorite grocery stores, retailers and shops. No more searching around for offers, coupons or discount codes …”
There are three ways to score rebates through Ibotta, and all are electronic:
- Take photos of your receipts.
- Link your store loyalty program accounts with your Ibotta account.
- Make purchases from online retailers by going through Ibotta (“in-app purchases”).
Then, after each time you shop, Ibotta will match up the items you bought with the rebates you selected before the shopping trip. The cash you earn from those rebates is deposited into your Ibotta account.
Once you’ve accumulated $20 in rebates, you can transfer it to a PayPal or Venmo account as cash, or convert it to a gift card. Racking up $20 is easier than you might think, as Ibotta is currently offering you a $10 welcome bonus for signing up for an account.
What’s new with Ibotta?
Ibotta’s latest upgrades include:
- An improved “Featured” screen: The “Featured” section or screen is what you see upon loading the app, and it includes recommended rebates from your favorite retailers and special bonuses. Anyone new to Ibotta who opens the app for the first time will receive options to select your favorite retailers, which will be added to your “Featured” screen for easy access in the future.
- A redesigned navigation bar: The navigation bar is Ibotta’s main menu, and it will now always be visible at the bottom of your screen.
- A new “My Rebates” section: This new section of the app is where you can now view all rebates you’ve selected — and sort them by store and category.
Have you ever used Ibotta? Tell us about your experience by commenting below or on our Facebook page.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.