With prices for flights, hotels and other travel expenses going through the roof, there’s never been a better time to learn about travel hacking with credit card points.
But how does it work? Can the average person get in on the action without making it a second job?
Whether you’re interested in free travel, free stuff or simply cash back, what you need is a simple system to make the most of your credit cards and reap solid rewards from everyday spending.
And that’s what today’s podcast is about.
Stacy Johnson and I are joined by producer Aaron Freeman to share our personal credit card strategies. (Stacy is sitting on more than a million points!) Adding some expertise to the discussion is our special guest, Nick Ewen, director of content for The Points Guy.
Remember, should we discuss specific investments on this show, never take them as recommendations, because they’re not. Before investing in anything, do your research, and make your own decisions.
You can watch this episode below, or if you’d prefer to listen, you can do that with the player at the top of this article. Or, you can download the episode wherever you get your podcasts:
What you need to know about credit card rewards
First, what rewards can you expect when you use your credit card? From merchandise to travel points to cash back, we take a look at what’s available to you — no matter your style.
- Before you get too excited, a little caution: Here’s what you need to know about how credit card rewards can cost you.
- And don’t forget: Sometimes you can get carried away. Here’s what you need to know about having too many credit cards in your wallet.
- As you get ready to use your credit cards, be aware of these costs you should never pay.
- Watch out for these costly rewards credit card mistakes and make sure you fix them.
- Check out my post on how to use rewards credit cards even after making a major purchase.
Tips for maximizing credit card rewards
Make the most of your credit cards by maximizing rewards. We have some great tips that will help you get more for each swipe.
- Pain at the pump? Check out our list of gas rewards credit cards that can help you ease that pain.
- If you’re ready for summer, you’re ready for some credit card rewards. Here are the best cards to help you save on your summer vacation.
- Want to bring a friend? Check out these rewards credit cards that let your friends fly free.
- You can get points any time of year by following our tips on maximizing credit card rewards during the holiday season.
- Got a partner? Check out these tips for maximizing credit card rewards as a couple.
- The Points Guy has a great tool to match you with a credit card.
- Want a better rewards card? Get a better credit score. We show you the best moves to improve your credit score.
Our guest, Nick Ewen
As director of content at The Points Guy (TPG), Nick Ewen works on a variety of initiatives to help you travel as much as possible for as little money out of pocket as possible — including credit cards, loyalty programs, airlines and general travel.
He joined TPG as one of the site’s first contributors in 2012 before moving to a full-time role on the editorial team in 2018. Nick has been featured in prominent outlets such as The New York Times and Good Morning America and has a profile piece on CNBC Grow.
Don’t listen to podcasts?
A podcast is basically a radio show you can listen to anywhere and anytime, either by downloading it to your smartphone, or by listening online. They’re awesome for learning stuff and being entertained when you’re in the car, doing chores, jogging or riding your bicycle.
If you haven’t listened to our podcast yet, give it a try, then subscribe. You’ll be glad you did!
About the hosts
Stacy Johnson founded Money Talks News in 1991. He’s a CPA, and has also earned licenses in stocks, commodities, options principal, mutual funds, life insurance, securities supervisor and real estate.
Miranda Marquit, MBA, is a financial expert, writer and speaker. She’s been covering personal finance and investing topics for almost 20 years. When not writing and podcasting, she enjoys travel, reading and the outdoors.