Buying a cheap home and retiring is a disappearing dream in many places of the U.S. But if you have the spirit of adventure, you can find such digs overseas.
Some such destinations may even put you right on the beach.
According to Peddicord — who is the founding publisher of Live and Invest Overseas — such destinations include:
- Belize. Those who buy inland in the Cayo District can get homes for as little as $75,000.
- Colombia. If you want big-city lifestyle, housing in the nation’s capital, Bogota, remains relatively cheap.
- Dominican Republic. Condos near the beach in Las Terrenas go for as little as $90,000.
- Brazil. In the town of Canoa Quebrada, beachfront condos are available for less than $70,000.
- Spain. If you buy near the sea in Murcia, you’ll pay one-half to one-third as much — as little as $100,000 — than you would in better-known coastal cities.
- Northern Cyprus. This Mediterranean island near Turkey has “many options” for retirees looking to pay $100,000 or less, including homes on the beach.
Peddicord told Money Talks News founder Stacy Johnson more about some of these locations in an episode of his “Money!” podcast — “5 Countries Where You Can Retire on $2,000 a Month or Less.”
While Peddicord’s list in U.S. News is aimed squarely at bargain hunters, there are other factors that also are important to those considering spending their golden years overseas. For example, health care, climate and even business opportunities.
Recently, the publication International Living focused on these factors and many others in compiling its latest list of the top 10 countries for overseas retirement. You can view the list in “The 10 Best Countries to Retire Overseas in 2021.”
If you are not quite ready to retire but see that day just over the horizon, consider signing up for the Money Talks News’ retirement course The Only Retirement Guide You’ll Ever Need.
This 14-week boot camp is intended for those who are 45 or older. It maps everything you need to know about retirement, and can put you on the financial footing to retiring where you choose.