6 Simple Solutions for Chapped, Dry Lips

6 Simple Solutions for Chapped, Dry Lips
Photo by Antonio Guillem / Shutterstock.com

It’s that time of year for snowstorms, icy roadways, heating bills — and chapped lips.

Fortunately, those rough, dry lips are a Jack Frost hallmark that can be prevented or treated at little to no cost.

Following are simple but effective tips for restoring chapped lips easily and cheaply. They require little more than some diligence and a few bucks.

1. Exfoliate

Dr. Elizabeth Tanzi, a dermatologist based in Washington, D.C., tells Prevention magazine that exfoliation is “a good first step against chapped lips.”

Tanzi’s no-cost suggestion for sloughing away dead skin is to brush your lips with your toothbrush after brushing your teeth.

Other inexpensive methods include gently buffing your lips with a wet washcloth while in the shower, and making your own scrub with table sugar and petroleum jelly.

2. Keep lips covered

After exfoliation, apply a moisturizing lip balm. Regular application is key. That means six to eight times per day, according to WebMD. I keep a stick in my purse, desk, bathroom and nightstand to help me remain diligent.

3. Use SPF

Sun damage — which can happen even when it’s cloudy — is a major cause of dry lips, according to Paula Begoun, a skin care expert and author also known as “the Cosmetics Cop.”

So, for the daytime, look for a lip balm with what’s known as broad-spectrum sun protection. We explain this in “3 Mistakes That Can Make Your Sun Protection Worthless.”

4. Watch out for irritants

Some common lip balm ingredients are actually skin irritants. These include:

  • Camphor
  • Citrus
  • Fragrance
  • Menthol
  • Peppermint

Not only do such ingredients have no benefit for lips, Begoun says, they even could make dry or chapped lips worse. She continues:

“The classic example that’s sold almost everywhere is Carmex Lip Balm. This contains potent irritants that will have you reaching for more Carmex as your lips become drier, perhaps never realizing that it’s the lip balm itself that’s contributing to the problem.”

5. Drink enough water

Drinking enough water helps to ward off the dehydration that leads to chapped lips, according to WebMD.

How much water do you need? The general recommendations of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine are:

  • 2.7 liters (about 0.7 gallons) per day for women
  • 3.7 liters (about 1 gallon) per day for men

These amounts include water from all beverages and food. The National Academies say about 80 percent of folks’ total water intake comes from water and other beverages, including caffeinated drinks. The other 20 percent comes from food.

6. Avoid licking your lips

Licking your lips repeatedly can cause their thin skin to dry out.

Dr. Barbara Reed, a dermatologist based in Denver, tells U.S. News & World Report:

“If you’ve ever seen a desert after rain comes, you know the surface gets very flaky. The same thing happens to our lips.”

What’s your best tip for preventing or treating chapped or dry lips? Share it by commenting below or on our Facebook page.

Earn more interest on your savings

Are you earning as much interest on your savings as you could be? Grow your savings faster with banks offering rates that are significantly higher than the national average. Find the best rates and start earning more interest on your savings by using the Money Talks News savings account and CD comparison tool.

Read Next
The Annuity Everyone Needs — and Anybody Can Get
The Annuity Everyone Needs — and Anybody Can Get

This simple strategy can put more money in your pocket during retirement.

7 Things You Should Do Before Claiming Social Security
7 Things You Should Do Before Claiming Social Security

To get the most out of your Social Security retirement benefits, you have to think ahead.

12 Ways to Maximize Your Social Security Checks
12 Ways to Maximize Your Social Security Checks

Following these tips will ensure you receive all the retirement income you’re entitled to — which might be more than you realize.

View this page without ads

Help us produce more money-saving articles and videos by subscribing to a membership.

Get Started

Comments

Our Policy: We welcome relevant and respectful comments in order to foster healthy and informative discussions. All other comments may be removed. Comments with links are automatically held for moderation.

Trending Stories