City of Angels / Shutterstock.com
Shopping at discount retailers like T.J.Maxx, Ross or Marshalls is a great way to get good deals on everything from clothing and purses to beauty products and specialty kitchen items.
Sure, you may spend more time in these stores, perusing rack after rack of shirts and dresses and aisles teeming with discounted luggage, sheet sets and picture frames, but if you’re like me, you typically score a couple of good bargains before your shopping trip is done.
You’re most likely getting a pretty good deal when you shop at a discount retailer, but if you want to save even more money shopping at T.J.Maxx, follow these tips:
- Shop on Wednesday mornings: T.J.Maxx is getting new shipments all the time, but mark-downs and new inventory typically hit the shelves (or racks) between Tuesday and Friday, says the Krazy Coupon Lady. “My favorite time to shop is first thing Wednesday mornings,” she says. “Most markdowns are made after store hours or before store opening, so morning shoppers always have first access to the latest steals.”
- Inspect items for imperfections: It’s always a smart idea to check items for defects or other imperfections (clothing snags, tiny chip in a plate, broken zippers or dirty items). If you find something and the item isn’t marked to sell “as is,” then talk to a store associate to see if you can get an additional discount on it, recommends RatherBeShopping.com.
- Look for big discounts in July and January: You’re more likely to snag items at bigger discounts in January and July, when the retailer is trying to move out older inventory to make room for a new season’s merchandise.
- Purchase discounted gift cards: You can save an additional 10 to 20 percent off at T.J.Maxx by purchasing discounted gift cards through Raise.com or CardPool.com. Because T.J.Maxx, Marshalls and Homegoods are all owned by the same company, each retailer accepts gift cards from those sister stores, so check out the discounts on all three stores’ cards and purchase the one with the biggest markdown.
- Follow them: Make sure you follow T.J.Maxx on social media at sites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram so you can be in the know on freebies or other giveaways, new products, upcoming deals and more.
- Look for yellow tags: If you find something with a yellow tag, that item is marked down as low as it will go. So if you want that item, purchase it ASAP.
Do you shop at T.J.Maxx? Share your favorite saving tips below or on our Facebook page.