Making extra money
If Patricia can’t live on her current Social Security income, her best bet is probably to earn extra money. Fortunately for her and millions of people like her, it’s never been easier to do. The “gig economy” offers hundreds of ways to bring in a few extra bucks.
We’ve covered this topic specifically in articles like “12 Weird Ways Retirees Make Money,” but we’ve done a ton of stuff on earning extra money that will help anyone at any age. Here are 10 examples:
- “Can Ride-Sharing Provide an ‘Uber-Lyft’ to Your Income?”
- “50 Ways to Make a Fast $50”
- “Make Extra Money: Buy and Deliver Groceries”
- “How to Make Extra Money Buying Locally, Selling Globally”
- “How to Turn Your Love of Cooking Into Extra Cash”
- “Making Extra Money: Earning $50 an Hour as a Tour Guide”
- “Making Extra Money: 7 Steps to Start a Pet Sitting or Dog Walking Business”
- “In Less Than 30 Seconds, You Can Be Earning Cash Back on Everything You Buy”
- “Get Crafty: 7 Steps Anyone Can Use to Make Money Online”
- “25 Hobbies That You Can Turn Into Moneymakers”
Bottom line? The bad news is that retiring on Social Security alone won’t be easy. The good news: There are so many new ways to earn extra money, with just a little initiative, you won’t have to spend your retirement hours dumpster diving or greeting people at Walmart.
Got a question you’d like answered?
You can ask a question simply by hitting “reply” to our email newsletter. If you’re not subscribed, fix that right now by clicking here. The questions I’m likeliest to answer are those that will interest other readers. In other words, don’t ask for super-specific advice that applies only to you. And if I don’t get to your question, promise not to hate me. I do my best, but I get a lot more questions than I have time to answer.
I founded Money Talks News in 1991. I’ve am a CPA, and have also earned licenses in stocks, commodities, options principal, mutual funds, life insurance, securities supervisor and real estate. If you’ve got some time to kill, you can learn more about me here.
Got more money questions? Browse lots more Ask Stacy answers here.
Learn everything you need to plan your dream retirement
The Only Retirement Guide You'll Ever Need gives you the knowledge you need to retire on your own terms. Sure, you can pay a financial adviser, but this online course gives you total control to create a custom retirement plan around the things that make you happy.
You're going to get expert, personalized advice. You'll have access to the latest tools. And when it's complete, you'll be able to approach your retirement confidently and with peace of mind.
It's time to plan the best years of your life. Let's get started.