Young people looking for lucrative career paths need to choose wisely. And perhaps they should stay away from things they see on TV.
About 1 in 4 high school students choose a career based on things they see on TV or in movies, according to a survey from CareerBuilder. That wouldn’t be so bad if they enjoyed the path they’ve selected.
However, 33 percent of full-time workers regret the college major they eventually choose.
So, it’s probably best to put down the remote and look at suggestions from CareerBuilder. The site ranked the top jobs based on:
- How fast they are growing
- Whether they pay a good wage
- The percentage of workers in the field ages 19 to 24
With those parameters in mind, the top jobs are:
- Social science research assistants
- Coaches and scouts
- Adult basic and secondary education and literacy teachers and instructors
- Environmental science and protection technicians, including health
- Forensic science technicians
- Camera operators, TV, video and motion picture
- Physical therapist assistants
- Biological technicians
- Film and video editors
- Electronic home entertainment equipment installers and repairers
- Automotive service technicians and mechanics
- Surgical technologists
- Sound engineering technicians
- Public relations specialists
- Web developers
For more details on these jobs — including pay and the number of openings — check out CareerBuilder’s website.
Looking for more insight into top career paths? Jobs site Glassdoor recently came up with its own list of top-paying careers. Find out more by reading “The 50 Best College Majors for Career Success.”
If you could start over, which career path would you choose? Sound off by commenting below or on our Facebook page.
How to find cheaper car insurance in minutes
Getting a better deal on car insurance doesn't have to be hard. You can have The Zebra, an insurance comparison site compare quotes in just a few minutes and find you the best rates. Consumers save an average of $368 per year, according to the site, so if you're ready to secure your new rate, get started now.