Protecting the first family — especially if that family is the well-traveled Trumps — comes with a steep price tag.
It cost U.S. taxpayers more than $31 million to protect President Donald Trump and his family during his first 100 days in the White House, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Although the Secret Service is mum on how much money it officially costs to protect the Trumps — including first lady Melania Trump and son, Barron, who live in Trump Tower in New York — the Times’ $31 million security price tag figure is based on publicly released budget data, government databases and documents from watchdog groups.
According to the Times, these were some of the biggest security expenses during Trump’s first 100 days in office:
- Trump Tower in NYC — $21 million. This figure is based on the cost of having New York City police officers, firefighters and the Secret Service protect the first lady and 11-year-old Barron while he finishes out the school year in New York.
- Mar-a-Lago in Florida — $8 million. During his first 100 days in office, Trump spent seven weekends at his private golf resort in Florida. According to a new study from conservative watchdog Judicial Watch, a round-trip Air Force One flight to Palm Beach from the White House costs a jaw-dropping $669,186. Other costs include the Secret Service and local security from Palm Beach County.
- Melania Trump’s travel — $1.13 million. Although the aircraft assigned to the first lady vary in size and price — ranging from $18,218 to $38,922 an hour — the Times estimates that Melania Trump’s travel since becoming first lady totals $1.13 million.
- Business trips by Trump’s sons — $1 million. Since Trump took office, his two eldest sons have traveled extensively on business for The Trump Organization — including stops in Dubai, Scotland, Ireland, the Dominican Republic and Canada — requiring Secret Service protection, says the Times.
- Family ski trip — $165,000. As many as 100 Secret Service agents accompanied Trump’s three eldest children — along with their spouses and eight children — to Aspen for a ski trip March. The Times says security on the trip cost as least $165,000.
What do you think about the high cost of protecting the Trump family? Share your comments below or on Facebook.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.