In this episode, we’re talking about credit repair.
Your credit matters. A lot. Nearly every financial transaction involves your credit: getting an apartment, buying a house, getting cell service, what you pay for car insurance, and sometimes even getting a job. Your credit determines not just whether you can get various services, but how much you’ll pay for them.
So, how do you make your credit look its best? Many turn to credit repair companies, but this is an area rife with rip-offs. There are more than 40,000 credit repair companies in the United States, and it’s not easy to tell the good guys from the bad. And believe me: There are plenty of bad guys out there.
So today we’re going to talk about how to fix your credit yourself, or if you need help, how to find it.
Host Stacy Johnson is joined by financial journalist Miranda Marquit. Listening in and sometimes contributing is producer Aaron Freeman. Today’s special guest is Michelle Lambright Black, a long-time industry professional.
Remember, our podcasts don’t offer financial advice. So make sure to do your own research and consult your own experts before acting on anything you learn here.
You can download the episode wherever you get your podcasts:
What you need to know about credit scores
One of the reasons people get worried about credit repair is because they’re worried about their credit scores. If you want to learn more about credit scores, we have free resources that can help.
- Credit Scores: Everything You Need to Know
- Here’s Why Nobody Cares About Your Perfect Credit Score
- 7 Ways to Get Your FICO Credit Score for Free
- A New Way to Get Your Credit Score for Free — Straight From FICO
- 5 Reasons Dave Ramsey Is Wrong About Credit Scores
- How to Protect Your Kids’ Credit
- What Employers Really See When They Run a Credit Check
Boost your credit score and get more for your money
If you’re hoping to boost your credit score, we can help you improve your history so you have access to more financial services at better prices.
- 5 Little-Known Tactics To Raise Your Credit Score
- Bad or No Credit Score? CreditStrong Can Help
- 7 Surprising Things That Damage Your Credit Score
- Can Carrying a Small Credit Card Balance Help Your Credit Score?
- This Type of Debt No Longer Can Harm Your Credit Score
- 7 Bonehead-Simple Ways to Turbocharge Your Credit Score
- What Is a Secured Credit Card and How Can It Boost Credit?
- How I Got a Perfect Credit Score in 4 Steps
- No Credit Score? These Banks Might Help You Get Plastic
- Credit Limit Lowered? 4 Things You Can Do Right Now to Fix It
Meet this week’s guest, Michelle Lambright Black
Michelle is a credit expert, freelance writer and founder of CreditWriter.com. She has more than 20 years of experience writing and speaking about credit and money, and focuses on helping families and small business owners make smart, informed decisions about their credit, money, and financial products.
Don’t listen to podcasts?
A podcast is basically a radio show you can listen to anywhere and anytime, either by downloading it to your smartphone or by listening online. They’re awesome for learning stuff and being entertained when you’re in the car, doing chores, jogging or riding your bicycle.
If you haven’t listened to our podcast yet, give it a try, then subscribe. You’ll be glad you did!
About the hosts
Stacy Johnson founded Money Talks News in 1991. He’s a CPA, and he has also earned licenses in stocks, commodities, options principal, mutual funds, life insurance, securities supervisor and real estate.
Miranda Marquit, MBA, is a financial expert, writer and speaker. She’s been covering personal finance and investing topics for almost 20 years. When not writing and podcasting, she enjoys travel, reading and the outdoors.