What’s your plan for summer vacation? If you’re like many of us, you hope to relax, travel and experience more of the world. That’s why we’ve searched through the many credit card deals out there to find you the ones that gets you hotel rooms, flights and more luxury for less. See how you can leverage your dollars with this plastic:
Capital One Venture Rewards
Why we like it: This card offers a hefty welcome bonus of 50,000 miles after you spend $3,000 within your first three months with the account. You earn 2 miles for every dollar spent on the card. So long as you are paying off your card each month (since paying interest on a balance is obviously counterproductive), you can rack up serious mileage for all your adventures.
- Earn 2 miles for every dollar spent on this card, every day.
- Earn 10 miles for every dollar spent on hotels around the world.
- No blackout dates when you travel.
- Points transfer to more than a dozen hotel and airline loyalty programs.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees.
- No annual fee for the first year, then $95 per year.
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Why we like it: This card rakes in a whopping 60,000 points as a welcome bonus (worth $725 on purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards) after spending $4,000 within the first three months of opening the account. This is really a great deal, assuming you would spend this amount on regular expenses and, importantly, pay off the balance. We’re not alone in our fondness for this card, which Kiplinger Personal Finance named “Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption” in 2018.
- Earn 2 points for each dollar spent on travel and dining, and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases with this card.
- When booking through Chase Ultimate Rewards, you face no blackout dates or restrictions. If there is a seat available, you can book a ticket with points.
- Points transfer 1-to-1 to leading hotel and airline loyalty programs.
- No foreign transaction fees.
Note: Annual fee of $95
The Platinum Card from American Express
Why we like it: This card offers 60,000 Membership Rewards points as an introductory bonus after making purchases worth $5,000 within the first three months. This is a great card with lots of luxuries and benefits, if you can comfortably make purchases at that level and pay a larger-than-average annual fee.
- Earn 5 points for each dollar spent on flights when booked directly with airlines or through American Express Travel.
- Earn 5 points for each dollar spent on hotels (prepaid through Amextravel.com).
- Luxury perks, including access to airport lounges worldwide and complimentary benefits at Fine Hotels & Resorts.
Note: The annual fee for this card is $550.
Whatever you need in a credit card — balance transfer, low interest rate, travel rewards points, you name it — you can find it in our credit card search tool. Click here to explore.
What’s your go-to credit card, and why? Share with us in comments below of on our Facebook page.