Guys: Do you want to ruin your holidays in the shake of a reindeer’s tail? Give the woman in your life a gift she won’t just hate but that will cause her to question what’s been going through your mind. This is the risk you take when you don’t think both long and hard before choosing the right gift for your girl.
In the video below, Money Talks News founder Stacy Johnson offers five bad gift ideas for women. Check it out, then read on for more tips to avoid striking out this holiday season…
Staying away from bad gifts isn’t hard. Let’s take a closer look at Stacy’s top five worst gifts, and another five I’d recommend for a better result.
Stacy’s top 5 bad gift ideas for women
- Anything that belongs in a kitchen. Women may cook and they may even enjoy doing it, but no woman wants to feel that it is expected of her. It may be natural for some guys to see their wife in the kitchen and think that she might enjoy an apron or some new gadget. If you ever get this urge, file it away in the same place where you keep the desire to put your feet on the coffee table.
- Clothes. Clothing is another minefield that you just don’t want to cross. Between finding the right sizes and pleasing her tastes, there are just too many ways to get this wrong. Stacy suggests offering to take her on a shopping spree, but if that idea scares you, a gift card to her favorite store is another way to let her indulge her passion for clothes without taking uncomfortable risks.
- A framed picture of yourself. Hopefully, this idea doesn’t tempt you, yet there are still guys out there who have done it. A framed picture can be a great gift that shows creativity and effort, just include others so it’s not all about you.
- Anything that has to do with losing weight. If there is one tip that probably applies to all women throughout the world, this is it. Like spending time in the kitchen, some women may look forward to exercise, but they don’t want anyone noticing they need to lose weight. The implication is that you are not satisfied with her the way she is, and that goes against everything that gift-giving is about.
- Anything that can’t be easily exchanged. One of the great things about the retail industry in America is that most merchants offer some kind of return policy. When it comes to giving gifts, take advantage of this benefit. Despite your best efforts, you may still end up giving her a gift that doesn’t work out, so be sure that she can return it without too much effort.
5 gifts that always work
- Jewelry. Unlike clothing, almost any piece of jewelry will fit nearly any woman. You don’t have to spend thousands of dollars on diamonds, just look for something in the style that she prefers, and try to stay away from imitation stones. A nice pair of earnings or a pendant can be purchased for under $100, and you will get extra points for finding something hand-crafted.
- Spa and massage sessions. What woman doesn’t want to be pampered? This is a gift card idea with a difference, so do your research on sites like Yelp so you can truly say that you made the effort to find the best place.
- Bath gift sets. If want to allow her to indulge herself but still give her something tangible, think about a gift basket filled with items from a fragrance and beauty company. These affordable gifts will really make a splash at bath time.
- Show tickets. From the ballet to her favorite band, consider giving her a pair of tickets to an event she might not have been willing to splurge on. Be prepared to make it a night out together, or suggest that she take her best friend.
- Travel gifts. Anything that a woman can use on a vacation is a great idea for the same reason that kitchen-related gifts don’t work. Giving her a travel pillow or a new piece of luggage will bring a smile to her face as she thinks of your next vacation together – especially if a vacation is a part of the gift.
Stick with these ideas, and you can’t go wrong. Finally, don’t forget to enter this year’s Worst Gift Ever Contest. You could win the now-legendary Money Talks T-shirt!
Add a Comment
Our Policy: We welcome relevant and respectful comments in order to foster healthy and informative discussions. All other comments may be removed. Comments with links are automatically held for moderation.