This post comes from partner site WhistleOut.com.
It’s natural to think you need to choose a cellphone plan from among the big four carriers — AT&T, Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile. Those brands dominate advertising and promise the best network, the fastest speeds and huge savings. What they don’t tell you, however, is that there are a number of smaller carriers that operate on the same networks, but offer plans at a fraction of the cost.
Be sure you check out what these budget carriers (also called MVNOs) are offering before you sign up for a new cellphone plan. It’s a simple move that can save you a bundle. Here’s a look at some of those options.
Budget plans with unlimited data
Never mind paying $60 to almost $100 per month for unlimited data. There are plenty of carriers that offer unlimited data, talk and text for around $45 or $50 per month. Simple Mobile has a great plan that costs just $45 per month when you sign up for its Auto ReUp. It’s great because you can use it while you’re in Mexico at no extra cost, and it uses T-Mobile’s network, which has awesome coverage and data speeds.
Other carriers to look out for include:
- Ultra Mobile (T-Mobile network)
- Straight Talk (all networks)
- Metro by T-Mobile (T-Mobile network): Plans include mobile hotspot
Plans with up to 10GB of data
If you don’t need unlimited data, then check out these smaller carriers. You can pay around $30 per month for a decent amount of data.
- Mint Mobile: Great pricing for new customers and uses the T-Mobile network.
- Twigby: Lets you customize your own plan so you only pay for what you need. Uses both Verizon and Sprint networks, so you know you’ll be getting great coverage.
- Tello: Also offers “build your own” plans with calls to Canada and Mexico included.
Plans for $15 a month or less
If you’re looking for a truly budget-friendly plan, then check out these plans for $15 per month or less. You’re not going to get a lot of data, but if you utilize Wi-Fi or you just don’t need much data, these plans are too good to pass up.
Lesser-known carriers like Gen Mobile and Unreal Mobile offer plans for just $10 per month and even offer money-back guarantees if you’re unhappy with the service.
More from WhistleOut:
- “The Best Times to Save on a New Cellphone”
- “Save on the Best TV Shows With These Cellphone Plans”
- “Connect Your Family With the Best Cellphone Service Deal”
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.