We’ve had a wild couple of years.
I’ve been investing for a long time and I can’t remember anything like it. The pandemic shaved 20% off the market in what seemed like minutes, then snapped back and took off just as fast.
Bitcoin started 2020 around $7,000 and now it’s around $50,000.
GameStop, one of many “meme stocks,” started this year around $15, went as high as $350 and is now about $150 — way down from the high, but still up about 1,000% for the year.
Even the housing market’s been insane. Depending on where you live, it’s possible your home has increased in value by 40% in a couple of years.
But the good times can’t last forever.
Much of the asset inflation we’ve been experiencing is because of historically low interest rates, and odds are good that punchbowl will soon be taken away.
And that’s not the only risk we’re facing. Unfortunately, there are plenty of other potential dark clouds on the horizon.
That’s what this week’s “Money!” podcast is about. We’re going to talk about some economic risks we might encounter in the year ahead — not to alarm you, but to prepare and inform you. We’ll also talk about how to deal with any issues that might occur.
Sit back, relax and listen to this week’s “Money!” podcast:
Don’t listen to podcasts?
A podcast is basically a radio show you can listen to anywhere and anytime, either by downloading it to your smartphone, or by listening online. They’re awesome for learning stuff and being entertained when you’re in the car, doing chores, jogging or, if you’re like me, riding your bicycle.
If you haven’t listened to our podcast yet, give it a try, then subscribe. You’ll be glad you did!
Want more information? Check out these resources:
- Yahoo Finance: 2 big market risks for 2022, according to Bank of America
- Forbes: Top Economic Concerns For 2022—Growth Continues, But Risks Abound
- Armchair Trader: Our five top financial markets risks for 2022
- Investopedia: What to Watch in 2022
- New York Times: The Economy Looks Solid. But These Are the Big Risks Ahead.
- BlackRock: Geopolitical risk dashboard
- Economist Intelligence: 10 risk scenarios that could impact global growth and inflation in 2022
- JPMorgan: Year-End Outlook: Investing Beyond the Pandemic
- Stacy’s stock portfolio
- Subscribe to the Money Talks News newsletter
- Take our course The Only Retirement Guide You'll Ever Need
- Take our course Money Made Simple
- Miranda Marquit’s website
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.