One of the country’s hottest attractions for travelers is also among its newest: One World Observatory.
The observatory atop One World Trade Center — the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere — opened in late May 2015. Since then, travelers’ interest in the destination has surged about 340 percent, ranking it No. 1 on TripAdvisor’s Attractions Trend Index.
The index, released Wednesday, ranks U.S. attractions that have seen the greatest increase in traveler interest over the past year. It’s based on comparing TripAdvisor search traffic from May through July 2015 against traffic from May through July 2016.
TripAdvisor spokesperson Brooke Ferencsik notes:
“From historic city streets to amazing sights from great heights, the Attractions Trend Index has revealed a wide variety of places that have captured the interest of U.S. travelers.”
U.S. attractions that made the index and their increase in traveler interest since last year include:
- One World Observatory, One World Trade Center, New York City: 340.7 percent increase in TripAdvisor search traffic
- The Magnificent Mile, Chicago: 118 percent
- Gatlinburg Scenic Overlook, Gatlinburg, Tennessee: 112.5 percent
- The Pearl District, Portland, Oregon: 109.3 percent
- Mount Bonnell, Austin, Texas: 109.2 percent
- Newbury Street, Boston: 108.1 percent
- Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee: 107.6 percent
- The Grand Ole Opry, Nashville, Tennessee: 107.4 percent
- Watkins Glen State Park, Watkins Glen, New York: 96.4 percent
- Jackson Square, New Orleans: 89.9 percent
- La Jolla Shores, La Jolla, California: 88.8 percent
- 360 Chicago observation deck, Chicago: 87.8 percent
- Venice Canals Walkway, Los Angeles: 80.4 percent
- Union Station, Denver: 79.1 percent
- Pier 39, San Francisco: 68.6 percent
- Disney Springs, Orlando, Florida: 65.3 percent
- Broadway, New York City: 63.7 percent
- The Grotto, National Sanctuary of Our Sorrowful Mother, Portland, Oregon: 63.3 percent
- The Gondola at Heavenly, South Lake Tahoe, California: 63.0 percent
- Central Park, New York City: 62.2 percent
- Washington Park, Portland, Oregon: 61.3 percent
- Statue of Liberty, New York City: 59.0 percent
- Fenway Park, Boston: 58.9 percent
- Bryant Park, New York City: 58.8 percent
- Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood, Burbank, California: 57.7 percent
If you plan to travel soon, be sure to first check out “14 Proven Ways to Save on Travel.”
Are you surprised by anything on this ranking? Let us know what you think below or on our Facebook page.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.