What do rental car insurance, TSA Precheck and checked luggage have in common?
With the right plastic in your wallet, you may never pay for them again.
Free rental car insurance, free TSA Precheck and waived checked-bag fees are often overlooked travel credit card rewards. But it pays to pay attention to what’s in your wallet and look up your credit card perks periodically — and especially before your next flight. Several airlines have recently increased their checked-bag fees.
If you have a credit card like one of the following, it can save you and your fellow travelers as much as $600 on luggage fees every time you take a round-trip vacation.
These cards are just examples of those that waive checked bag fees, though. You can find others that may better suit you by using a free online resources such as Money Talks News’ credit card comparison tool.
Also note that the credit card perk of waived bag fees is generally not unlimited. For example, in the case of the following cards, the freebie may be limited to domestic flights or bags under a certain weight.
- Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard: One free checked bag for the primary cardholder and for each of up to four other people traveling on the same reservation. This saves each person $30 per bag on a domestic flight — or a total of up to $300 per round-trip. Note that if you have a World Elite Mastercard, you’ll also enjoy the credit card perk of free shipping for online purchases.
- Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard: One free checked bag for the primary cardholder and for each of up to eight people on the same reservation. This saves $30 per bag on a domestic flight — up to $540 per round-trip.
- Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card: One free checked bag for the primary cardholder and for each of up to nine people on the same reservation. This saves $30 per bag — up to $600 per round-trip.
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card: Same as the Gold Delta SkyMiles card.
- Delta Reserve Credit Card: Same as the Gold Delta SkyMiles card.
- United Explorer Card: One free checked bag for the primary cardholder and one for another person on the same reservation. This saves $30 per bag — up to $120 round-trip.
- United MileagePlus Club Card: Two free checked bags for the primary cardholder and two free checked bags for one person on the same reservation. This saves $30 per first bag and $40 per second bag — up to $280 per round-trip.
What’s your method of choice for dodging luggage fees? Share it by commenting below or over on Money Talks News’ Facebook page.
How to find cheaper car insurance in minutes
Getting a better deal on car insurance doesn't have to be hard. You can have The Zebra, an insurance comparison site compare quotes in just a few minutes and find you the best rates. Consumers save an average of $368 per year, according to the site, so if you're ready to secure your new rate, get started now.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.