Labor Day weekend sales tend to be the best holiday weekend sales of the year.
So, now is the best time to cross some gift shopping off your list before Black Friday kicks off that harried season. And it’s a great time to buy all kinds of things for yourself or your household.
Following are seven of the most noteworthy Labor Day weekend sales we’ve seen so far. All prices were checked on Thursday afternoon. We noted when these sales end whenever a retailer provided that information.
- Amazon: Several of Amazon’s Echo smart devices are currently on sale, including the Echo and Echo Dot — both $15 off — and the Echo Show, which is $100 off. For about 1,000 other items that are on sale at Amazon this weekend, check out the “Labor Day” webpage.
- Appliances: They are up to 40 percent off at multiple retailers, including Home Depot and Sears.
- eBay: Save 20 percent on purchases of $25 or more from certain sellers until 11:59 p.m. PT on Monday with promo code JUSTRELAX. You can see and search items included in this promotion — everything from tech to home goods — on the “20% Coupon” webpage.
- Le Creuset: We cite this beloved cookware brand in “10 Classic Products That Are Built to Last.” Right now, its dinnerware is 20 percent off, and you can save even more money on many more items by shopping the end-of-summer sale. Shipping is free on all orders, too.
- Mattresses and more: You can save as much as a few hundred bucks on a mattress this weekend. Brands with sales worth checking out include:
- Allswell: Save 20 percent sitewide until 11:59 p.m. EST Wednesday. Note that this Walmart-owned brand sells both mattresses and bedding.
- Brentwood Home: Take $200 off select mattresses until Sept. 10 with promo code SAVE200. Brentwood Home mattresses start at $310 before discounts. Also, save 20 percent on Griffith and Runyon orthopedic pet beds while supplies last with code PETBED20.
- Nest Bedding: Get $25 to $200 off mattresses through next week with the specified promo codes. Most mattresses also come with a free microfiber sheet set during the Labor Day sale. Nest Bedding mattresses start at $399 before discounts.
- Walmart: Save big on pools, patio decor and more during the Labor Day Savings sale. To boost your savings, also check out “8 Ways to Save Even More at Walmart.”
- Wayfair: Save 65 to 75 percent in various categories during the Labor Day Clearance sale at this Walmart-owned home goods retailer.
Boosting your savings
The only thing better than scoring a sale price is paying an even lower price. And savvy shoppers can easily do just that this weekend by earning cash back on their purchase or paying with a discounted gift card — or both.
To earn cash back on a sale purchase — and many other purchases — go through a cash-back portal. These websites and apps will give you cash rebates for doing so, as I detail in “3 Websites That Pay You for Shopping.”
Examples of cash-back portals include:
Of course, you can also earn cash back by using a cash-back credit card.
To boost your savings via discounted gift card, buy one from a wholesale club like Costco or Sam’s Club or from a discounted gift card marketplace like Cardpool.com or Raise.com. Then, simply use the gift card to buy stuff.
If you get the gift card for 10 percent off its face value, for example, you will effectively save an extra 10 percent on everything you buy with the gift card.
What’s your favorite Labor Day weekend sale or savings tactic? Share it with us by commenting below or over on our Facebook page.
How to find cheaper car insurance in minutes
Getting a better deal on car insurance doesn't have to be hard. You can have The Zebra, an insurance comparison site compare quotes in just a few minutes and find you the best rates. Consumers save an average of $368 per year, according to the site, so if you're ready to secure your new rate, get started now.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.