Editor’s Note: This episode initially aired on Sept. 15, 2022. It may contain some details that are out of date.
You need to build an emergency fund, but you also want to go to Burning Man.
You need to save for retirement, but you also want a Corvette.
You need to buy a house, but you also want to go on a cruise.
At first glance, it seems like you can either do what you should do, or you can do what you want to do. But there’s not enough time or money to do both.
Or is there? Today, we’re going to talk about how you can tackle multiple financial goals and still not miss out on having some fun.
As usual, host Stacy Johnson is joined by financial journalist Miranda Marquit. Listening in and sometimes contributing is producer Aaron Freeman. Today’s special guest is Chris Hutchins, founder of the podcast All the Hacks.
Remember, even though we sometimes talk about money and specific investments on this show, don’t take them as recommendations because they’re not. Before investing in anything or making any money moves, do your research and make your own decisions.
You can watch this episode on Money Talks News, or if you’d prefer to listen, download the episode wherever you get your podcasts:
Mindset, money and setting financial goals
So many of us seem stuck in this mindset where you have to take care of a checklist. You can’t invest until you’ve paid off your debt. You can’t spend money on travel until you’ve invested a certain amount.
Here are some good resources on money and mindset, as well as how to set financial goals:
- Listen to our podcast episode on how to adjust your thinking and mindset to live the life you want.
- Read this older article on the different types of money mindsets that might be driving your decisions.
- Watch out for mental blocks that could keep you from securing a better retirement.
- Check out some of the best financial goals for a prosperous future.
- Setting retirement goals? Check out our guide on how to set the right goals, depending on your age.
- Learn how to set smart goals for your investments.
- Depending on your timeframe, we have a guide for setting better goals for short-, medium- and long-term success.
Hacks for better money management
The hosts talk about better money management hacks throughout the podcast episode. If you’re looking for our take on some of the best hacks, check out these articles that can help you change your approach to money management.
- 3 Ways to Downsize Your Life in 2022
- 12 Tools to Organize Your Life in 2022
- 5 Tips to Maximize Your Credit Card Points
- 11 Small Money Moves That Will Make a Big Difference
- 12 Hacks to Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half
- 10 Travel Hacks to Save Money When Booking a Vacation
- 7 Tips for Getting the Best Deals on Travel
- 8 Ways to Earn Extra Income with Your Home
- How to Destroy Your Debt and 3 Things to Do Next
Meet this week’s guest, Chris Hutchins
Chris Hutchins is an avid life hacker, financial optimizer and host of the top-ranked podcast All the Hacks, where he shares his quest to upgrade his life, money and travel, all while spending less and saving more.
He’s also the head of new product strategy at Wealthfront, an online platform to help you build wealth through investing. He and his work has been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNBC and more.
Previously, he was founder/CEO of Grove (acquired by Wealthfront), an investor at Google Ventures, and a co-founder of Milk (acquired by Google).
Don’t listen to podcasts?
A podcast is basically a radio show you can listen to anywhere and anytime, either by downloading it to your smartphone, or by listening online. They’re awesome for learning stuff and being entertained when you’re in the car, doing chores, jogging or riding your bicycle.
If you haven’t listened to our podcast yet, give it a try, then subscribe. You’ll be glad you did!
About the hosts
Stacy Johnson founded Money Talks News in 1991. He’s a CPA, and has also earned licenses in stocks, commodities, options principal, mutual funds, life insurance, securities supervisor and real estate.
Miranda Marquit, MBA, is a financial expert, writer and speaker. She’s been covering personal finance and investing topics for almost 20 years. When not writing and podcasting, she enjoys travel, reading and the outdoors.