We’ve all heard the advice: To stay safe during the coronavirus pandemic, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds.
But if you are tired of quietly humming the “Happy Birthday” song twice, Amazon has another solution. The retail giant has launched a smart soap dispenser with lights on top that count down the 20 seconds as you scrub.
The 12-ounce dispenser, which was released Aug. 4, comes in three configurations:
- Soap Dispenser: $54.99
- Mrs. Meyers Geranium Scent (soap dispenser bundled with one 33-ounce Mrs. Meyers hand soap refill in geranium scent): $63.38
- Seventh Generation Scented (soap dispenser bundled with three 24-ounce Seventh Generation hand soap refills in mandarin orange and grapefruit scent): $72.96
Any liquid hand soap will do, though — as long as it’s not foaming soap or an alcohol-based product. So, there’s no need to pay 25 cents an ounce for brand-name liquid hand soap.
The dispenser is compatible with most Echo smart speakers if the device is within 30 feet of the dispenser. According to Amazon, you can create an Alexa routine and “have your Echo automatically play songs, jokes, and more when you wash.”
The compatible models are:
- Echo (second generation and newer)
- Echo Dot (second generation and newer)
- Echo Plus
- Echo Show
- Echo Spot
- Echo Input
Amazon says the soap dispenser has variable dispensing, so you can control the amount of soap you get by raising or lowering your hand under the nozzle.
The dispenser’s battery can hold a charge for up to three months.
For more advice on washing your hands, check out:
- “Are You Making These 7 Hand-Washing Mistakes?“
- “6 Ways to Avoid Chapped Hands From Frequent Washing“
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.