Photo (cc) by balise42
Doughnut lovers, rejoice! June 6 is the most wonderful day of the year — a holey holiday, if you will.
It’s National Doughnut Day (or Donut Day), which falls on the first Friday of June each year. Whether you like them jelly-filled, powdered or glazed, you now have a good excuse (if you needed one) to enjoy the sweet treats.
National Doughnut Day isn’t a ploy by doughnut shops to get you in their doors. Its roots date back to World War I, when hundreds of Salvation Army officers, aiming to comfort U.S. troops serving in Europe, cooked and served doughnuts to the soldiers, USA Today said. The first National Doughnut Day was celebrated in 1938.
- Krispy Kreme. You can select one doughnut (any variety) at Krispy Kreme for free, no purchase necessary.
- Dunkin’ Donuts. Enjoy a free doughnut with the purchase of any beverage.
- Thorntons. You can get a free doughnut at Thorntons through June 9 by using a coupon available on Thorntons’ mobile app.
- Tim Hortons. Make an in-store purchase on Friday, and take home a free doughnut. Customers must say “Happy National Doughnut Day” to receive their doughnut.
- Winn-Dixie. Stores in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Florida and Mississippi are handing out free “jumbo” doughnut holes on Doughnut Day.
- Cumberland Farms. If you buy a coffee or ChillZone beverage, Cumberland Farms will hand over a free doughnut.
Check out your local doughnut shop for special promotions.
If one free doughnut is not enough, click here for a chance to win an entire year of free doughnuts from Entenmann’s. Additionally, if you “like” their Facebook page by June 15, they will donate $1 to the Salvation Army.
What’s your favorite doughnut? Share your comments below or on our Facebook page.