Simple ingredients yield big flavor in our BLT salad with lemon Dijon vinaigrette. This Frugal Family Feast recipe will feed a family of four for less than $15.
This BLT salad with lemon Dijon vinaigrette is fresh and fast. You’ll have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. It’s also very affordable. Chef Jorge said the ingredients cost about $10.
Making the vinaigrette
Chef Jorge’s vinaigrette recipe can be used on salads, as a marinade or as a dipping sauce.
Any vinaigrette has some kind of acid, such as lemon juice or vinegar, as well as seasonings and oil. This recipe uses fresh lemon juice and a combination of canola and olive oils. Chef Jorge says the vinaigrette will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Crispy bacon is the highlight of this meal. Chef Jorge uses the oven to cook his bacon. If you prefer a skillet or other method, do what’s best for you.
Chef Jorge used bibb lettuce and arranged the hand-torn leaves on the plate. Bibb lettuce is smooth and tender. This recipe also works well with romaine and iceberg lettuce.
Chef Jorge chose Roma tomatoes. They’re a great size to cut into chunky bites and have great flavor. Feel free to substitute your favorite tomato.
BLT salad with lemon Dijon vinaigrette – courtesy of Chef Jorge Montes
- 8 ounces bacon strips
- 1 head of bibb lettuce
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallots
- ½ cup croutons
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
To prepare the bacon:
- Lay out the bacon on a parchment paper-lined baking tray and bake at 350° for 12 minutes until crispy.
- Remove the bacon from the baking tray and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
To prepare the lettuce and tomatoes:
- Rinse the leaves of the bibb lettuce and drain. Then line them up on a serving platter as a foundation to the salad.
- Cut the tomatoes into 1-inch-thick cubes and place over the lettuce.
- Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
To prepare the vinaigrette:
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together for 30 seconds the mustard, lemon zest, lemon juice, shallots, salt and pepper.
- Slowly pour in the canola oil and extra virgin olive oil while whisking until fully incorporated.
To prepare the salad:
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the tomatoes.
- Toss croutons over the tomatoes.
- Crumble the bacon over the salad.
After you try this recipe, go to our Facebook page and let us know how you like it.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.