Are you cooking for fewer people these days? Once the kids grow up and move out, family meals fall by the wayside. For some reason, it’s just not as much fun to cook for one or two people, and you’d much rather eat out or order in.
Of course, restaurant dining comes at a cost. During 2019, American households spent an average of $3,526 on food away from home. For those on a fixed income, the expense of eating out is even harder to swallow.
To make it easier, we’ve rounded up several restaurant chains across the country that offer “senior” discounts. Many of these deals are available to diners 50 years old and up.
We recommend asking your server or calling ahead to confirm any promotions. Keep in mind, you may need to present an ID or sign up for a loyalty program to be eligible.
The pancake house has a dedicated 55+ menu, which offers select breakfast, lunch and dinner dishes at a lower price than the regular menu.
Check out the Denny’s 55+ menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner specials at reduced prices. (Enter your ZIP code to see the 55+ menu of your local restaurant.) In some cases, the 55+ entree saves you more than $2. Prices and selections may vary by location.
If you are an AARP member, you can save 15% on your entire check at Denny’s. (For more such deals, skip to the “AARP member discounts” section of this article.)
3. El Pollo Loco
At El Pollo Loco, diners 60 years of age and older are eligible for 10% off their order. Ask the cashier about the offer before you check out. Note: The maximum discount value is $1.
Cicis does offer discounts for seniors, military personnel and large groups. However, the discounts vary by location because most Cicis restaurants are individually owned. Ask your nearest Cicis about their special savings offers.
While there’s no company-wide policy in place, some Chili’s locations offer discounts to senior citizens, military members and uniformed officers. Contact your local Chili’s to find out if it participates.
McDonald’s says certain franchise locations may offer a special discount for seniors. Contact your nearest McDonald’s store to find out more.
An Applebee’s spokesperson tells Money Talks News that there is no national offer for seniors, but you can call your nearest Applebee’s for specific deals available at that location.
8. Golden Corral
Select Golden Corral locations offer senior specials, so ask your nearest restaurant if it participates. No matter where you live, though, additional savings and rewards are available when you sign up for the Good as Gold Club. Check off the box that indicates “Seniors (60+)” so you can start receiving news and promotions most relevant to you.
AARP member discounts
As soon as you turn 50 years old, you’re eligible to become a full-fledged AARP member. While there is an annual fee, the membership unlocks countless discounts on everything from hotels to health care.
AARP has also partnered with over a dozen restaurants to offer exclusive members-only discounts. Below are the ones currently listed on the AARP website.
- Bonefish Grill: 10% off dine-in food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.: 10% off food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill: 10% off dine-in food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Chart House: 10% off food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Corner Bakery Cafe: 10% off your total check, excluding delivery orders
- Joe’s Crab Shack: 10% off food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Landry’s Seafood: 10% off food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Landry’s Inc. Restaurants (select brands): 10% off food and non-alcoholic beverages
- McCormick & Schmick’s: 10% off food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Oceanaire Seafood Room: 10% off food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Outback Steakhouse: 10% off dine-in food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Rainforest Cafe: 10% off food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Saltgrass Steak House: 10% off food and non-alcoholic beverages
You may need to have your AARP card or membership number handy to be eligible for these savings. Also note, discounts may not apply to delivery orders and some restaurants may be closed or operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 restrictions.
AMAC member discounts
Join the Association of Mature American Citizens (AMAC) after your 50th birthday to access exclusive coupons and discounts on food, travel, insurance and more. Below are AMAC’s current restaurant partners, where you can score up to 50% off an entree.
- Friendly’s: Three coupons available, including 50% off an adult entree with the purchase of one other entree.
- Long John Silver’s: Members age 55 and up save 10% to 20% (discount varies by location).
- Papa John’s: Get 25% off regular menu items ordered online.
AMAC members also can get a $25 restaurant gift certificate from Restaurant.com for only $5.
Disclosure: The information you read here is always objective. However, we sometimes receive compensation when you click links within our stories.