Getting older has its advantages, one of which is saving money.
From restaurant chains to rental car companies, there are countless places that offer senior discounts. In many cases, you can unlock these special savings starting at the ripe age of 50.
If you’re thinking you need to pay for a membership in a group like AARP to qualify, you don’t.
Take the following senior discounts for example. You might have to prove your age with an ID, sign up for a loyalty program or shop on a certain day of the week, but no membership or other cost is necessary to redeem these discounts.
That’s why we consider them the best senior discounts out there in 2020.
Restaurant chains that offer senior discounts to anyone over a certain age include:
- Chili’s: While there is no company-wide policy for senior discounts, some individual Chili’s locations offer special savings to seniors. So, check with your local Chili’s for details.
- Cicis: Many locations in this pizza buffet chain offer senior discounts, but the exact offer varies by location. So, ask about any deals at your nearest Cicis restaurant.
- El Pollo Loco: Anyone 60 and older can also save some dinero at El Pollo Loco — 10% off your order, up to a total savings of $1.
For more options — some of which are available only to members of groups like AARP or the Association of Mature American Citizens — check out “8 Restaurant Chains With Discounts for Diners Age 50 or Older.”
A few supermarkets also offer senior discounts, including:
- Fred Meyer: This department store owned by The Kroger Co. offers customers 55 and up a discount of 10% on items ranging from private-brand groceries to clothing.
- Harris Teeter: Every Thursday, this grocery store offers shoppers 60 and older a discount of 5% when they present their Harris Teeter VIC card. The discount applies to everything except fuel, pharmacy purchases, tickets and gift cards.
- Hy-Vee: Discounts vary by location, as we detail in “6 Grocery Stores That Still Offer Senior Discounts.” So, check with your local store.
A few drugstores also celebrate shoppers of a certain age with a monthly discount, including:
- Rite Aid: On the first Wednesday of each month — Feb. 5 is the next date — seniors age 65 and up can get 20% off almost the entire store. To be eligible, you must be a member of Rite Aid’s wellness65+ program, but it’s free to join.
- Walgreens: For certain days of each month, shoppers 55 years and older can save 20% on regular priced eligible items and 30% on Walgreens-brand items — both in stores and online. You must be a member of Walgreens’ Balance Rewards program, but it’s free to join.
These retailers regularly chop prices for anyone as young as 55:
- Kohl’s: Once you hit 60 years of age, you’re eligible for 15% off every Wednesday at Kohl’s stores. This offer cannot be combined with other percent-off discounts, but it can be used with dollar-off discounts, Kohl’s Cash coupons and Yes2You Rewards.
- Michael’s: Feeling crafty? Get 10% off your entire purchase at Michael’s stores if you’re 55 or older. This offer even applies to sale items.
- Pep Boys: This automotive chain offers a 10% senior citizen discount in stores to those age 55 or older with a valid ID.
- Ross: This discount chain offers 10% off to fashionistas 55 and older on Tuesdays.
These companies believe that getting a discount on a cellphone plan has a nice ring to it:
- Sprint: The discounted Unlimited 55+ plan is available to customers age 55 and older in Sprint stores.
- T-Mobile: This carrier discounts its Unlimited plans for customers who are 55 or older.
- Verizon: This carrier currently offers its discounted 55+ Unlimited plan to new customers who are 55 or older and have a Florida billing address.
You’ll rest easy at the following hotels, knowing that you booked a discounted room rate:
- Best Western: Guests age 55 and older save up to 15%.
- Choice Hotels: Guests age 60 and older save up to 10% with advance reservations.
- Motel 6: Guests age 60 and older save up to 10%.
- Red Roof Inn: Guests age 59 and older save 10%.
For more options, see “9 Hotels That Give Price Breaks to Seniors.”
Railways, bus lines and cruise lines
If you enjoy traveling by train, bus or ship, you can save on your next trip by booking one of these companies:
- Amtrak: Passengers 65 years of age and older can save 10% on most rail fares on most Amtrak trains. You only have to be 60 to get this discount on a cross-border service operated jointly by Amtrak and VIA Rail Canada.
- Carnival: Age 55 or older? Check out Carnival’s “Cruise Deals for Seniors” calendar. Check the “Age 55+” box under “VIFP Offers & Extra Savings” to filter results.
- Greyhound: If you’re 62 or older, you can save 5% on your fare.
- Peter Pan Bus Lines: Anyone at least 62 years old can enjoy 15% off full adult fares.
For more options, check out “5 Ways to Get Senior Discounts on Cruise Trips.”
Here are a couple of airlines that have landed on better rates for seniors:
- American Airlines: Before you head on vacation, check American Airlines’ senior rates by selecting “Senior (65+)” under the “Passenger 1” drop-down menu before searching.
- United Airlines: United offers senior fares, for flights to select destinations, to those age 65 and older. Ask for details when making a reservation, or select the seniors category when you make a booking online.
Rental car companies
After you’ve blown out 50 candles on your birthday cake, you’re eligible for rental car savings from these companies:
- EZ Rent A Car: A 10% discount is available when booking your reservation online and using the applicable coupon code from EZ’s coupons webpage.
- Hertz: You can save up to 20% on base rates.
- Sixt: Save up to 5%. When you book through their Senior Car Rental Discount page, the discount is applied automatically.
- Thrifty Car Rental: Save 5% discount on time and mileage charges when booking in advance.
Second only to free entertainment is discounted entertainment, which is exactly what these hot-spots provide for people of a certain age:
- AMC Theatres: If you’re at least 60 years young, you can purchase a Senior Discount ticket. AMC says to use the theater locator on its website to find a theater near you and check for senior pricing.
- Cinemark: This chain offers special Senior Day ticket prices. The details vary by location, so check with your nearest box office for details. A list of participating theaters is available on Cinemark’s website.
- National parks: The National Park Service offers a $20 annual senior pass or an $80 lifetime senior pass for U.S. citizens and permanent residents age 62 and up.
What do you consider the best senior discount? Leave them in the comments below or tell us about them on our Money Talks News Facebook page.