Getting older has its advantages, one of which is saving money.
From restaurant chains to rental car companies, there are countless places that offer “senior” discounts. In many cases, you can unlock these special savings starting at the ripe age of 50.
If you’re thinking you need to be a member of a group like AARP to qualify, you don’t. We’ve rounded up the best senior discounts of 2019 that don’t require a paid membership to give you an idea of what discounts are currently available without any added costs.
You might have to prove your age with an ID, sign up for a loyalty program or shop on a certain day of the week, but none of those requirements will cost you anything.
Restaurant chains that offer senior discounts to anyone over a certain age include:
- Chili’s: While there is no company-wide policy for senior discounts, many individual Chili’s locations offer special savings to seniors. So, check with your local Chili’s for details.
- Cicis: Many locations in this pizza buffet chain offer senior discounts, but the exact offer varies by location. So, ask about any deals at your nearest Cicis restaurant.
- El Pollo Loco: Anyone 60 and older can also save some dinero at El Pollo Loco — 10% off your order, up to a total savings of $1.
For more options — some of which are available only to members of groups like AARP or the Association of Mature American Citizens — check out “9 Restaurant Chains With Discounts for Diners Age 50 or Older.”
A few supermarkets also offer senior discounts, including:
- Fred Meyer: This department store owned by The Kroger Co. offers customers 55 and up a discount of 10% on private-brand groceries, including the Fred Meyer, Kroger and Simple Truth brands.
- Harris Teeter: Every Thursday, this grocery store offers seniors 60 and older a discount of 5% when they present their Harris Teeter VIC card. The discount applies to everything except fuel, pharmacy purchases, tickets and gift cards.
A few drugstores also celebrate shoppers of a certain age with a monthly discount, including:
- Rite Aid: On the first Wednesday of each month, seniors age 65 and up can get 20% off almost the entire store. To be eligible, you must be a member of Rite Aid’s wellness65+ program, but it’s free to join.
- Walgreens: For a limited time each month, shoppers 55 years and older can save 20% on regular priced eligible items — both in stores and online. You must be a member of Walgreens’ Balance Rewards program, but it’s free to join.
These retailers regularly chop prices for anyone as young as 55:
- Kohl’s: Once you hit 60 years of age, you’re eligible for 15% off every Wednesday at Kohl’s stores. This offer cannot be combined with other percent-off discounts, but it can be used with dollar-off discounts, Kohl’s Cash coupons and Yes2You Rewards.
- Michael’s: Feeling crafty? Get 10% off your entire purchase at Michael’s stores if you’re 55 years or older. This offer even applies to sale items.
- Pep Boys: This automotive chain offers a 10% senior citizen discount in stores to those age 55 or older.
- Ross: This discount chain offers 10% off to fashionistas 55 and older on Tuesdays.
These companies believe that getting a discount on a cellphone plan has a nice ring to it:
- Sprint: The discounted Unlimited 55+ plan is available to customers age 55 and older in Sprint stores.
- T-Mobile: This carrier discounts Unlimited 55 plans for customers who are 55 or older.
- Verizon: This carrier offers its Go Unlimited plan at a discount to customers who are 55 or older. Note that the eligibility requirements include having a billing address in Florida, Illinois, Missouri, Texas or Detroit.
You’ll rest easy at the following hotels, knowing that you booked a discounted room rate:
- Best Western: Saving up to 15% on your room rate really puts the “best” in Best Western. The discount is available to guests 55 and older.
- Choice Hotels: If you are at least 60 years old, you’ll enjoy up to 10% off advanced reservations.
- Marriott: Starting at age 62, you can save 15% or more on your room rate.
- Motel 6: They won’t just leave the light on for you if you’re age 60 or older. You can save up to 10% on the best available room rate.
- Red Roof Inn: The senior discount gets you 10% off if you’re at least 59 years old.
For more options, see “9 Hotels That Give Price Breaks to Seniors.”
Railways, bus lines and cruise lines
If you enjoy traveling by train, bus or ship, you can save on your next trip by booking one of these companies:
- Amtrak: As a senior, you’ll save 10% on most rail fares on most Amtrak trains. Passengers 65 years of age and older are considered seniors, unless you’re traveling on a cross-border service operated jointly by Amtrak and VIA Rail Canada, in which case, the age is 60.
- Carnival: Age 55 or older? Check the Carnival calendar online for available discounted trips. Once you’ve found the cruise you want, select the number of rooms and passengers for your trip. On the next page, check off the “55+ years old” box and continue the booking process.
- Greyhound: If you’re 62 or older, you can save 5% on your fare.
- Peter Pan Bus Lines: Peter Pan will make all your travel dreams come true with their 15% senior discount. Anyone at least 62 years old can enjoy these savings on full adult fares.
For more options, check out “5 Ways to Get Senior Discounts on Cruise Trips.”
Here are a few airlines that have landed on better rates for seniors:
- American Airlines: Before you head on vacation, check American Airlines’ senior rates by visiting the advanced search page and selecting “Senior (65+)” under the “Passenger 1” drop-down menu.
- Southwest Airlines: Once you’ve hit age 65, this low-cost carrier offers discounts on domestic and international itineraries. Southwest’s senior fares are refundable, too.
- United Airlines: United also offers senior fares, for flights to select destinations, to those age 65 and older.
Rental car companies
After you’ve blown out 50 candles on your birthday cake, you’re eligible for rental car savings from these companies:
- EZ Rent A Car: A 10% discount is available when booking your reservation online and using the applicable coupon code from EZ’s coupons webpage.
- Hertz: The Hertz Fifty Plus Program saves you up to 20% on base rates.
- Sixt: Book a luxury car rental with Sixt and save up to 5%. When you book through their Senior Car Rental Discount page, the discount is applied automatically.
- Thrifty Car Rental: A 5% discount with Thrifty is pretty nifty. Visit the Thrifty Silver Club webpage for more details and to book your car rental.
Second only to free entertainment is discounted entertainment, which is exactly what these hot-spots provide for people of a certain age:
- AMC Theatres: If you’re at least 60 years young, you can purchase a Senior Discount ticket. AMC says to use the theater locator on its website to find a theater near you and check for senior pricing.
- Cinemark: This chain offers special Senior Day ticket prices. The details vary by location, so check with your nearest box office for details. A list of participating theaters is available on Cinemark’s website.
- National parks: If hitting all the national parks is on your bucket list, you’ll want to apply for the Senior Pass. The National Park Service offers a $20 annual senior pass or $80 lifetime senior pass for U.S. citizens and permanent residents age 62 and up.
What do you consider the best senior discount? Leave them in the comments below or tell us about them on our Money Talks News Facebook page.